Investing POrtfolio View

There is a setting to how or hide closed lots. I want to show closed lots for open positions, enabling me to analyze how much i need to sell to recover basis without closing position entirely. When I show closed lots , My account that I have been using for years gets very crowded. ANy suggestions?
Tagged:

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than a generating a Portfolio Report for the selected security* and printing it, the only way I know of to show partially sold lots in the Portfolio View is to turn on "show closed lots" and then click the [+] sign to the left of the security name.

* Select the Portfolio Value Report.
    From the list of securities double-click the desired security. This will show detail of every transaction you ever recorded for this security.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a setting to how or hide closed lots. I want to show closed lots for open positions, enabling me to analyze how much i need to sell to recover basis without closing position entirely. When I show closed lots , My account that I have been using for years gets very crowded. ANy suggestions?
    I don't quite understand your objective: "to analyze how much i need to sell to recover basis"

If I have a holding of 100 shares with a cost basis of $1000 and a market value of $2000, I need to sell half that holding to 'get back' $1000.  That same holding has a current market price of $20/share and my holding has an average cost of $10/share.  Again I have to sell half the holding to 'get back' that average cost.  Those are two ways of getting the same result.  Cost Basis / Market Value or Average Cost / Current quote yield the proportion needed to sell.  What do closed lots have to do with any of this?

But even then, any such sale does not take the cost basis to $0.  You have to sell all your shares to 'recover' all your cost basis.  

So what are you really after?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I suggest you hide the securities you no longer hold and uncheck Show (hidden securities) on the Securities tab of the Customize Current View window: open the Portfolio view and select Customize
  • q_lurker your example works well with a single lot. The ROI column shows what you descibe above very easily. Imagine buying a stockor mutual fund 2 or 3 times as prices fluctuate , reinvesting dividends and selling off a couple of lots. therfore to see my cost per share it is a matter of taking the total life to date cash used to purchase divided by total LTD qty of shares ever puchased to get what i need. There is a security detail report that gives you some of the information but its a lot of clicks to get to it and not useful to monitor entire portfolio.
  • @Sherlock I didnt think i could easily hide the shares I no longer hold. I will look. Only option I saw was hide all sales or show them
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker your example works well with a single lot. The ROI column shows what you descibe above very easily. Imagine buying a stockor mutual fund 2 or 3 times as prices fluctuate , reinvesting dividends and selling off a couple of lots. therfore to see my cost per share it is a matter of taking the total life to date cash used to purchase divided by total LTD qty of shares ever puchased to get what i need. There is a security detail report that gives you some of the information but its a lot of clicks to get to it and not useful to monitor entire portfolio.
    More directly what you are adding with this added info is 'over all time'.  I was not limiting my average cost to one lot.  You can have a portfolio view show the average cost of all shares currently held (current cost basis / current shares held).  But you want the cost of all shares ever held.  That was not clear to me in your opening post.     
    Still I am not seeing the value of your process.  So you bought AAPL years ago trading in and out and have made a killing (on paper and for real).  What is the significance of knowing you can sell some number of shares or some percent of your current holding today to "recover basis" (your words) or to go after "total life to date cash used to purchase"?

I am a fan of Quicken's Investment Performance Report and Average Annual Return (IRR) numbers.  They are not perfect but IMO the best Quicken has to offer.  With that report set to show the cash flow details and subtotaled by security, I get a good measure of what I have put into any one security, what I have taken out, and what it is worth now.  Is what I have taken out plus what it is worth now bigger than what I put in?  By a little over a long time? By a lot in a short time?  Not at all?

I can also look at that information by account, or for specific time frames.  Maybe  need to group or pair up securities because of mergers, class conversions, spinoffs, or other financial dealings.     
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock I didnt think i could easily hide the shares I no longer hold. I will look. Only option I saw was hide all sales or show them
    To hide a security, press Ctrl + Y and check the Hide box for the security you want to hide.