One Step Update tries to add new accounts

I've seen other threads here with a complaint similar to this. When performing a One Step Update, dialogs appear for setting up a new account asking for credentials to log in. If I provide those credentials, eventually it returns the only active account I have with that institution already marked as 'Don't add to Quicken'. Then the dialog reappears again, but this time I just cancel. OSU then finishes.

Based on reading some of the similar threads, I made a copy of my Quicken file and then deleted the closed accounts from those institutions that were generating the 'Add Account' dialogs (in my case it was Barclays and Capital One, but in other threads the institutions are different). OSU then executes normally with no 'Add Account' dialogs or other interruptions. It appears Quicken is trying to get login info for accounts that have been closed -- all of the ones I had to delete have the red slashed circle icon indicating they were closed. I'll note it's not every closed account that previously has downloads enabled; just two from CapOne and two from Barclays.

How can my primary file be corrected to stop these rogue dialogs? Deleting an account in a copy is fine for troubleshooting but it's an unacceptable solution for my regular day-to-day usage.

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @NoBoB

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize in the issue you're having. That is odd I'm wondering where exactly the issue is. I believe in this case it might help trying to see on a test file if we have a similar issue. This will give us a better idea of where exactly the issue is. I'll leave steps down below and you can find it on the third step on the article.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Once you get the chance let us know what you're able to find out. From there we'll see what we able to find next.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• NoBoB
    NoBoB Member ✭✭
    OK, I have created the test file, entered the account info for the two institutions, and performed a OSU. No problems were encountered as expected.

The instructions then suggested doing the File Copy and Validation procedure (which takes quite a while on a data file going back almost 40 years -- I've been a Quicken guy for a very very long time lol) even though the instructions indicated it would probably not help in my situation. There was nothing in the validation log of any consequence (a few transactions it thought might have been broken transfers but are actually micro-deposits when setting up ACH transfers between institutions, things like that -- no on-line download errors or anything related to OSU).

I want to be clear -- OSU is attempting to get credentials for accounts that have been closed. When I delete those closed accounts in a copy of the data file, those credential entry screens no longer appear during OSU and everything completes normally. I still have other accounts with those institutions and those download properly once I cancel out of the 'new account' dialogs in my regular data file. For some odd reason it's attempting to resurrect old closed files, which can't happen since they don't exist at the institutions anymore. It's most odd.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @NoBoB

Thank you for the response and the additional details. The following steps will need to be done in the original file.

Please right-click on one of these closed accounts to edit the account. Once there, do you see a financial institution listed?

If so, are you able to remove the financial institution from this box? If so, I would remove this information and attempt to update it once more, and see if this resolves the issue.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • NoBoB
    NoBoB Member ✭✭
    Success! The institution name was indeed the issue, and now for the first time in weeks, OSU completes unattended.

Thanks much for the support!
This discussion has been closed.