Problems reinstalling Quicken 2016 Deluxe

CountryGirl295
CountryGirl295 Member ✭✭
HELP!! My notebook died suddenly. I am unable to reinstall Quicken Deluxe 2016 for Windows on my new Windows 10 computer. It installs fine, but when I go to restore my backed up data file, I get a message to sign in with my Intuit ID. When I try to do that I get an "unknown error occurred" message. My User ID and password is current and I am connected to the internet. I really don't want a subscription. I don't need bill paying, downloading transactions from my bank or credit cards, financial tracking and I don't want to have my data stored on some unknown computers called "the cloud" from which the big tech companies can lock me out. I just want to get my 30++ years of data opened. Please help!

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to apply the final release for Q2016 that is not on the original installation disk. 
    Apply the release available from the link below.
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
  • Thank you so much for responding, Geoff. I saw the link in another response and I downloaded the most recent Mondo patch (19.5) for Quicken 2016 from there. No joy! Either I don't know how to install/use it, or it was the wrong one. It gave me hope though....
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mondo 19.5 appears to be the correct one, unless you are using the Canadian version. What is the issue you are having when trying to install? Error messages?
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HELP!! My notebook died suddenly. I am unable to reinstall Quicken Deluxe 2016 for Windows on my new Windows 10 computer. It installs fine, but when I go to restore my backed up data file, I get a message to sign in with my Intuit ID. When I try to do that I get an "unknown error occurred" message. My User ID and password is current and I am connected to the internet. I really don't want a subscription. I don't need bill paying, downloading transactions from my bank or credit cards, financial tracking and I don't want to have my data stored on some unknown computers called "the cloud" from which the big tech companies can lock me out. I just want to get my 30++ years of data opened. Please help!

You haven't included necessary information for correct information.

This is for the USA Version:

Hi All,

This is for all versions of Quicken 2016 for Windows not just Deluxe.

Open Quicken. Go to File > Backup and Restore > Backup your Quicken Data File(s) before starting.

Firefox 32-Bit from here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Waterfox 64-Bit from here: https://www.waterfoxproject.org/

Create a New Folder on the Desktop. Rename the Folder, New Briefcase, which can be done in Windows 10, too. Always rename a New Folder, because when you create New Folders within any folder and don't rename Folders, Windows names the folders, New Folder, New Folder (2) and so on. You won't be able to find anything without renaming New Folders.

Once you have done that, start Firefox or Waterfox and go into Tools then click Options. On the General Tab, find  Downloads, then Under Downloads see Save files to:. Click on the Browse Button. Click Desktop then click on New Briefcase. Saves you the trouble of having to tell where to Save the Downloads to and makes the downloads, easier to find, right on the Desktop..

I am assuming that you already have the Installation Program for Quicken 2016 Flavors.

Close Quicken. Do not uninstall it.

Re-open Firefox or Waterfox and click on the link below for downloading QCleanUI.exe

Download QcleanUI.exe from this link:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken?priorityCode=1348800000

Left-click on QCleanUI.exe to start the Download and click Save. Left-click on MSIClean.exe to start the Download and click Save.
    Create a new sub-folder of Briefcase Folder and name it QClean. Move both QCleanUI.exe and MSIClean.exe into QClean. Now simply open QClean. Right-click on QCleanUI.exe  and left-click Run as administrator. Choose to Clean All Versions. Do not use Programs and Features to uninstall your Quicken Program.

Use Programs and Features to remove iSeek AnswerWorks English Runtime, which Quicken installs.

Restart the computer. After the computer restarts, use Explorer to delete / no need to rename the following folders: (Except if you also have other Intuit Products installed, expand those folders and delete the Quicken folders, only.)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AnswerWorks 5.0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Quicken

C:\ProgramData\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Roaming\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Roaming\Quicken

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Intuit

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Intuit_Inc

Empty the following folders, with the exception of Files in use:

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Temp

C:\Windows\Temp

Run Disk Cleanup.

Don't download the Installer again if you already have it.

Download CCleaner Free from: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner

Once you have CCleaner Free installed, run the Cleaner portion first.
    Analyze first and Run Cleaner.
    Click Registry on the Left.
    Scan for Issues.
    Fix selected Issues. Then Run it again because on x64 Bit Installations, it doesn't fix all on the first pass.

Right-click on the Quicken Program Installer and click Run as administrator.

Once the program is installed a Window will Popup concerning Program Updates click Cancel.

Restart the computer.

Open your browser.

Go to: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Click on Quicken Patches US Scroll down to Quicken 2016 and download the following Mondo Patches:
    R8 Mondo, R12 Mondo and finally R9.5 Mondo.

Once downloaded, install Mondo Patch R8, R12 and finally in order R19.5

Once Mondo Patch R19.5 is installed, you can then open Quicken, but do not launch Quicken until Mondo Patch R 19.5 is installed..

Until April 30, 2019, you can finish upgrading using the Check for Updates under Help, once you have Quicken registered.

Now click on Quicken to Open Quicken. It will not find any Quicken Data Files, because it doesn't know where to look. Choose to Restore a Backup Quicken Data File. Let Quicken Convert it, before using One Step Update.

When you go to Register the program again, be sure to click Already have an Quicken ID.

You need to complete the Survey portion of the Registration, in order for Next to become clickable.

Before using One Step Update, check your Converted Quicken Data File.

Note 1: You do not need the previous version of Quicken installed to reinstall and convert any Quicken Data Folder. When you restore an older Backup, Quicken will convert the Data File after restoring it, as long as it isn't too old.

Note 2: Each Quicken Data File gets registered, including existing Quicken Data Files.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Wow! What great info and step by step instructions! Exactly what I needed. Sorry I didn't give as much system info that you needed. If there is a next time, I will try to do better. Quick question: I have Quickbooks Pro 2019, too, which reinstalled from the Quickbooks CD successfully along with my backed up data. Quicken Deluxe 2016 US Version is a download file which I had on a separate backup external harddrive. Would it be best to just uninstall the Quickbooks too prior to proceeding?
  • Hi - I have followed your instructions carefully...4 separate times. The first time, I received the same error message when executing Quicken US Mondo Patches R12 and R19.5. I repeated your wonderful, step by step instructions again, but first I uninstalled Quickbooks 2019 using the Uninstall Programs in the Control Panel. I thought maybe I hadn't gotten all the Quicken links deleted as it wasn't always very clear which were Quickbooks and which were Quicken. My Quicken 2016 file is an executable that I purchased and downloaded from Costco called Quicken_Deluxe_2016.exe and is dated 3/11/2016. After following all the uninstall steps and rebooting and turning off the TrendMicro (our anti virus application), I right mouse clicked and selected Run as Administrator as per instructions. I finally spotted the Window Popup Update where I was supposed to click Cancel. it went by so fast, I couldn't click to Cancel the updates. Followed all the steps to delete Quicken again. Got to the same spot. Thought maybe I caught the Cancel in the Update Window. Ran the patches in order R8, R12 and R19.5 as instructed. Mondo Patch R8 executed perfectly. After executing R12 and R19.5 in order Got error message: "An Error occurred - Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load." for each of Patches R12 and R19.5. Information in Window showed "Index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: length" for each patch. Followed all the delete Quicken steps again - thought maybe I wasn't fast enough to cancel those updates. Know I hit the Cancel button in the Window Popup Update in time while installing Quicken. Rebooted machine. Deleted the downloaded Mondo Patches (just in case) and downloaded them again. Mondo R8 patch worked great. Got the same error message on the other 2 patches. I have a new Dell Inspirion 3880 desktop running Windows 10 Home. I am using FireFox for a browser. I am executing the Quicken_Deluxe_2016.exe from an external harddrive. When I try to open Quicken after the Patch install failures, My data file appears to restore to the folder I created on C:\, but Quicken stalls at the "Sign in With Your Intuit ID" window, but the screen in the window is totally blank. Any suggestions?? I have a lot of faith in you, thecreator!! CountryGirl295
  • @Greg_the_Geek - thank you for reminding me of that resolve for the Patch Error message. I had walked through that before I went on the Community asking for help. The results of that effort was a new user that left a folder in Explorer that I wasn't able to delete. I hadn't gotten @thecreator excellent instructions as yet.

This time, Windows 10 wouldn't allow me to create another User. I followed online instructions to delete a User from the Registry. Thank God I did 3 things right first: 1. I copied a short cut to the Control Panel; 2. I copied a link to the Command Prompt window; 3. I backed up the Registry section that I was supposed to delete. Rebooted and got multiple Windows error messages. The Start was deactivated, none of the application links were on the Taskbar and I was unable to access the Run Window with the Windows Key + R. I was able to enter the Registry using the Command Prompt Window and restore the Registry String that I had deleted. I rebooted and all was back.

This time Windows 10 allowed me to create another User and set it as Administrator (but still unable to delete the outlying User Folder-very strange). Went in as the New Administrator User and tried to install Quicken 2016. Managed to catch that so very fast appearing Update Option Window to Cancel the Updates. Closed out the Quicken install window. Ran the 3 patches in R8, R12, R19.5 order. OH JOY!!!! They all 3 installed correctly. Went in as the original me User and opened Quicken 2016, restored my data file and after 3 solid days of work, IT IS INSTALLED and working well!! I'm doing a dance!!! I know this is long, but maybe someone else will get into the same circular loop that I got into. Don't give up. Thank you @GeoffG, @thecreator, and @Greg_the_Geek for all your good instructions.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, you can stop Quicken from  trying to automatically update by disabling your Network Connection before installing Quicken.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Now why didn't I think of that???? Thanks. :o
This discussion has been closed.