Why are tags added to split transactions in Quick/ Windows 10

When I enter a transaction with several categories in a split, I see tags for each split that are identical to the category names. I can't delete them. The tags do NOT appear in my Tag list. Please advise!

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Hello @Elliot Clark

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a follow-up response.

I was able to successfully recreate this issue and have gone ahead and reported this as a bug.

I will be sure to provide an update as soon as I have more information.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

CTP-1438
    ~~~***~~~

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Elliot Clark

As you know - what you are describing is not normal behavior.  Just wondering - do you use Quicken Mobile and/or Q on the Web?  If so, that could be contributing to your issues.

I would suggest that you do some troubleshooting - please see the directions located at this LINK.  But, before you do, please backup your file, just in case.

Let me know what happens with the troubleshooting.

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Elliot Clark
    Elliot Clark Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response. No, I use neither Q Mobile or on the web. In fact, I just started a new Quicken file in October, advised by Q Support because my earlier file was 20 years old and 68 MB large! I took the opportunity to simplify what I use Quicken for, and that's been very good. If I find anything I'll post.
  • Elliot Clark
    Elliot Clark Member ✭✭
    I just made a backup, then made a copy per the LINK instructions,, opened the copy, ran Validate and there were no errors reported.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Elliot Clark

Can you open up your "Memorized Payee List" (use the "Ctrl + T" shortcut) and page down until you get to one (or more) of the categories that you are seeing the duplicate Tags for.  Are you seeing the repeating of the Category name in the "Tag" column for any of these entries? 

Also, open up your "Tag List" (use the "Ctrl + L" shortcut) and page down.  Are you seeing any of the repeating Category names in this list?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Elliot Clark
    Elliot Clark Member ✭✭
    No to both questions; Memorized Payee list and Tag list. I use tags for "Monthly" "quarterly" "yearly" etc. repeat times. Thank you for your interest!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Elliot Clark

Would it be possible for you to upload a screen shot of what you are seeing - as you said above when you "enter a transaction with several categories in a split, I see tags for each split that are identical to the category names"?  That would be very helpful in understanding what may be going on.

Frankx

• Elliot Clark
    Elliot Clark Member ✭✭
    Here is a good example. This is the view of the split lines for a transaction:

Here is the register view. Note the Split in the Tags field. When you put the mouse over the Tags field, the Categories use are displayed. The categories are also display if you mouse over Category, as they should.

By the way, this community editor is very hard to work with.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    Hello @Elliot Clark

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a follow-up response.

I was able to successfully recreate this issue and have gone ahead and reported this as a bug.

I will be sure to provide an update as soon as I have more information.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

CTP-1438
    ~~~***~~~
  • Elliot Clark
    Elliot Clark Member ✭✭
    Thank you for looking into this. You've my day- me finding a real bug in one of the most important and universally used programs (app) in the world. I'm sure you and your colleagues at Quicken will find the bug and rectify it in a future update.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Ongoing: 2/26/21

No ETA is available at this time.

CTP-1438
    ~~~***~~~
  • fairchildka
    fairchildka Unconfirmed, Member
    Some items with split categories show up as split in tag column. When I run Spending by Payee report - they are excluded. They are included on Spending by Category report so the two totals do not match. I can not figure out how to clean these items up. I am selecting show all tags in the report criteria. All other report criteria is identical.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @fairchildka

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report your issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

There is a known issue when entering a memorized split transaction that the category overwrites the tag field and the tag can no longer be edited. To learn more, please see the discussion here.

Does this issue match what you are experiencing when you attempt to edit the tag field on these transactions?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • fairchildka
    fairchildka Unconfirmed, Member
    Yes. That is what is happening. Sounds like a bug that you have reported and has yet to be fixed. Maybe I can delete the transactions and re-enter them so the reports will be correct.
  • Sparkle
    Sparkle Member
    I have been having this issue for the past several weeks. I will tag lines in a split transaction differently - say line one is tagged "ABC", and line 2 is tagged "123". When I pull up a report by tag, I'm now getting separate columns for transactions in the split as "ABC:123". I can remove the tags entirely, resave the transaction. Then go back and retag the line. Still shows up in the wrong columns. VERY ANNOYING (on top of all the myriad other issues Quicken seems to be having these days)!!
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Ongoing 4/15/21

There is no ETA available at this time. 

CTP-1438
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.