Getting rid of duplicated transactions

I recently had to replace a credit card (Chase Freedom) due to a potential fraud situation. A new card was issued with a new account number. When I updated and added the new card, the transactions downloaded with it included transactions already in the register of my old card. Now, it appears that two duplicate transactions are in my summary reports for about a two month period. Is there any way to automatically get rid of the duplicates using Quicken or do I have to delete each duplicate individually.

Answers

• Chuck Thomas
    Chuck Thomas Member ✭✭
    Sorry, that's getting Rid of Duplicated Transactions
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If the transactions are in the "Downloaded Transactions" tab you can now do a multiple select using Windows standard selecting (click on first, hold down shift click on last.  Or to toggle one transaction hold down ctrl+click on it).  And then you can delete them.

If they are already in the register select the gear icon at the top right of the register -> Sorting options -> By Order Entered

This will put the new (duplicate) transactions at the bottom of the register so that you can do the same kind of multiple select and then right click to select to delete these transactions.  You might also like to turn on the Status column if it isn't already on, and expand it (column header it a blue dot) so that you can see the text.  It should have the new transactions with a status of "New".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • CaseyG
    CaseyG Member
    All of my transactions are being triplicated when I "update all online accounts". I have a Mac subscription for Quicken. This problem started in January 2021. Is this a bug or a feature? If a feature, how can I prevent this from happening? If a bug, pleased fix it. Thank you
  • Chuck Thomas
    Chuck Thomas Member ✭✭
    Chris_QPW: Ok. So I need to do this manually to a degree, I cannot just select some button and eliminate the duplicate transactions. My duplicated transactions are in two different accounts: the old Credit Card account which has been replaced and the new Credit card account, which contains downloaded transactions which go back before the card was turned off plus others since that time. I guess I just have to eliminate the transactions that are duplicated from the new account which have already been included in my reports from the old account.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you think about it if Quicken knew which were duplicates so that you can hit a magic button and they go away then quick and wouldn't have put them in the register in the first place.

The way Quicken knows if a downloaded transaction is a duplicate or not is there is a unique ID included with every transaction and Quicken records these and when it sees a transaction with the same unique ID it ignores it.

The problem is that especially with Express web connect if you do something like reset your account or deactivate and reactivate the system that is creating those unique IDs crates different ones for the same transactions because it's not doing it quite right.  And that in turn means that Quicken can't tell what is duplicate and what isn't and it requires you to do it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rutha
    rutha Member
    getting duplicate transactions on my USAA credit card account.
  • Chuck Thomas
    Chuck Thomas Member ✭✭
    Had to do it all one at a time...
This discussion has been closed.