Account transfers on the Projected Balance Screen

Account transfers show a closing balance of zero while the graph shows the correct value.

Best Answer

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Here's an example of how transfer sense makes a difference.  These are transfers between the same two accounts.  Only Qcheck is set to display in the graph.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

Answers

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    This happens when the Account to Use is not being tracked by projected balance.  In my case, whenever the transfer originates from a savings/investment account rather than a spending account being tracked.

Quicken user since 1995

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand what you're saying. 
    Transfers are "transactions", they don't have "balances" per se.  Of course they change the balances in the affected Accounts, and this shows up as diagonal "kinks" in the graph lines displayed in the Projected Balances window.

Maybe you could explain exactly what you mean by "Account transfers show a closing balance of zero"? 
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I assumed the listing, Upcoming Bills and Income, that appears below the graph.  That is what I am referring to and if the Account to Use is not one being tracked by the graph, then the closing balance is shown as zero for that reminder line.  This happens when a transfer is initiated from some other account into an account being tracked in the graph.
    NOTE: the graph itself, does show the daily closing balance of the account being tracked when the node is clicked.  However, the listing does not show that balance.

Quicken user since 1995

• > @Tom Young said:
    > I don't understand what you're saying. 
    > Transfers are "transactions", they don't have "balances" per se.  Of course they change the balances in the affected Accounts, and this shows up as diagonal "kinks" in the graph lines displayed in the Projected Balances window.
    >
    >
    >
    > Maybe you could explain exactly what you mean by "Account transfers show a closing balance of zero"? 

Thanks for responding. I’ll try to explain more clearly.

I have recurring “reminder” account transfers set up FROM a checking account TO a savings account. Both accounts are set up as “spending “ in the account definitions.

On the projected balance screen of the FROM account, the reminder shows up correctly with a resulting “closing balance”. The graph is correct as well.

On the projected balance screen of the TO account, the reminder shows up on the recurring dates, but the closing balance column shows a zero for each transfer. The graph shows the correct balance for each recurrence.

See the image....
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Transfers are specialty reminders, they have a host account where the transfer reminder is entered and an affected account where the transfer is also "reflected".  If you were to change the sense of the transfer (Transfer from Jack - xx) and the transfer is entered into MM, then the daily closing balance of MM would be shown.   Also, if you were add Jack- xx to the graph (multiple accounts) then the dalily ending balance of host account for the transfer would be displayed in the listing.  This is the case in @""Tom Young"'s example.  His listing should show the daily ending balance for the transfer's host account (whether it be blue or green). 

Quicken user since 1995

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Here's an example of how transfer sense makes a difference.  These are transfers between the same two accounts.  Only Qcheck is set to display in the graph.

Quicken user since 1995

This discussion has been closed.