Category Tax Line Items

When setting up a new category; on the Tax Reporting tab, I find the Tax Line Item and Tax Line Item Description very helpful.  Is there a report that will include the Tax Line Items AND the DESCRIPTION?  I'd like to have it as a guideline (printed out) so I don't have to remember every year what I put where.  Thanks!

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    There is no such report.

The tax-line item is mapped to a number in the TAX.SCD file and the number is mapped to a description in the TAX.THP file.  

Here is a simple batch file you may use to generate a tab-separated text file you may import into a spreadsheet to map the tax-line item to its description.  Note: Replace <TAB> with the tab character.

@echo off
    pushd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\"
    for /f "tokens=1,3*" %%a in (TAX.SCD) do (
      for /f "tokens=1*" %%i in (TAX.THP) do (
        if ".%%a" == "%%i" echo %%b %%c<TAB>%%j
      )
    )
    popd
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi Sherlock!  Thanks so much for this but I while I consider myself a bit computer literate I have no idea what to do with this!  It sounds like what I need though.  Can you provide a bit more help to get my to where I would enter this and to let me know how I replace the <TAB>  ?  
    To create the batch file:
    1. Open a new text file (for example, tax.bat) in your favorite text editor (for example, Notepad).
    2. Copy and paste the program provided earlier (@echo through popd).
    3. Replace the <TAB>  text with tab character (if you're using Notepad, select the <TAB> text and press the Tab key once).
    4. Save the file.
    To run the batch file to produce the tab-separated text file:
    1. Open a cmd prompt window.
    2. Navigate to the folder where you saved the batch file.
    3. Enter the file's name and redirect the output (for example, tax.bat > tax.txt).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    When I copy paste the file into notepad; it adds a bunch of spaces amongst the text. When I select <TAB> and press Tab, it creates a tab space. I removed the spaces that were added and tried it with the tab space and nothing happened. I do understand how to run the batch file and how to redirect it but am still not finding success. You are being very tolerant and helpful but if you want to give up on me, I understand. Now it has become a challenge for me, beyond my initial desire to get the tax category descriptions to print with the categories :)
    I cannot explain why a copy and paste would add a bunch of spaces.

I've attached the batch file with a .pdf suffix.  I suggest you download the file and reset the suffix to .bat.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    There is no such report.

The tax-line item is mapped to a number in the TAX.SCD file and the number is mapped to a description in the TAX.THP file.  

Here is a simple batch file you may use to generate a tab-separated text file you may import into a spreadsheet to map the tax-line item to its description.  Note: Replace <TAB> with the tab character.

@echo off
    pushd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\"
    for /f "tokens=1,3*" %%a in (TAX.SCD) do (
      for /f "tokens=1*" %%i in (TAX.THP) do (
        if ".%%a" == "%%i" echo %%b %%c<TAB>%%j
      )
    )
    popd
  • Jenny Gross
    Jenny Gross Member ✭✭
    Hi Sherlock!  Thanks so much for this but I while I consider myself a bit computer literate I have no idea what to do with this!  It sounds like what I need though.  Can you provide a bit more help to get my to where I would enter this and to let me know how I replace the <TAB>  ?  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    To create the batch file:
    1. Open a new text file (for example, tax.bat) in your favorite text editor (for example, Notepad).
    2. Copy and paste the program provided earlier (@echo through popd).
    3. Replace the <TAB>  text with tab character (if you're using Notepad, select the <TAB> text and press the Tab key once).
    4. Save the file.
    To run the batch file to produce the tab-separated text file:
    1. Open a cmd prompt window.
    2. Navigate to the folder where you saved the batch file.
    3. Enter the file's name and redirect the output (for example, tax.bat > tax.txt).
  • Jenny Gross
    Jenny Gross Member ✭✭
    When I copy paste the file into notepad; it adds a bunch of spaces amongst the text. When I select <TAB> and press Tab, it creates a tab space. I removed the spaces that were added and tried it with the tab space and nothing happened. I do understand how to run the batch file and how to redirect it but am still not finding success. You are being very tolerant and helpful but if you want to give up on me, I understand. Now it has become a challenge for me, beyond my initial desire to get the tax category descriptions to print with the categories :)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I cannot explain why a copy and paste would add a bunch of spaces.

I've attached the batch file with a .pdf suffix.  I suggest you download the file and reset the suffix to .bat.
  • Jenny Gross
    Jenny Gross Member ✭✭
    Sherlock? You are a stellar human being. Thanks for helping a girl out. I really appreciate it a LOT. xoxoxo
  • Jenny Gross
    Jenny Gross Member ✭✭
    One more thing. This would be a VERY HELPFUL report available to users to assist them with setting up categories. I am certain this information is available elsewhere, but I find having it printed for reference is super helpful. I doubt I am alone? You are awesome for hanging in there with me. xoxoxo
This discussion has been closed.