Are there any plans to fix the filter bug on Mac

bbarnes1701d
bbarnes1701d Member
There is a bug on the Mac version of Quicken - Version 6.1.1 (Build 601.37924.100) where the balance changes with the filter. There is a work-a-round to turn off all filers, but given this is an easy problem to fix and that it worked before that one could filter, what are the plans to fix this? Until it is fixed, can we give Mac users a discount or free annual subscription as motivation to fix this? Looking at alternatives now for financial management since Quicken is basically broken.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    @bbarnes1701d I'm glad we worked through and clarified things, and that you can get what you expect now.  :) 

Just to wrap up in terms of the Balance column when a register is filtered by a Search term: in this case, a running balance of the account makes no logical sense, because the register isn't showing a range of transactions.

Let me illustrate with a small sample of transactions:

The running balance here makes sense. Now let's say you Search for Amazon transactions. If you expected it to display the Balance of the account as of the time the transaction occurred, you'd be asking for it to display this:

But those Balance numbers really make no sense out of context; they're meaningless, and would definitely confuse people.

So instead, when the results are filtered by a Search, the developers have chosen to show a running sum of the transactions in the search results. 

The running balance for the last item in the search results is the same as the total displayed under the search box. I don't know how helpful such a running sum is for people, but at least the numbers make sense.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Which balance display are you referring to and which filters are you referring to?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Here is the issue -

https://www.quicken.com/support/balance-incorrect-or-missing-account-register-quicken-mac
  • jacobs
    @bbarnes1701d  I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm not aware of Quicken ever giving a refund/rebate to Quicken users over any bug or shortcoming in the program. (In fact, almost all software has some bugs from time to time, and almost no software developers give money back because of them.) 

That said, the link you supplied isn't about a bug; it's a link which explains why a running balance may not appear at times.

There have been a few bugs with running balances under certain conditions in the past, but I thought they had been fixed. If you can link to a thread which talks about such an issue, or describe steps to reproduce what you're experiencing, we might be able to shed more light on it. 
  • I did speak to customer support about the change in behavior for filtered views ... they gave me the link as the work a round

The issue in the link I provided is a bug since that behavior only recently started. Filters should not change register balances.

Is there a bug ID filed or not ?

Is this going to be fixed or not?
  • Also this is not a problem on the PC
    Just MAC
  • jacobs
    The link you provided is not a report of a bug; it's an explanation of how to get the balance column to display accurate running balance information: sort the register by date, have no filters or search, and select only a single account.

You can note at the bottom that this page was last updated 2/27/19 -- two years ago -- so it's not describing any new behavior.

You're asking if a bug report is filed, and I'm still trying to understand what you're doing/experiencing that seems to be a bug.

Typically, in a filtered view, the balances may be meaningless because you're only looking at a subset of the transactions. If you're looking for a total of the filtered transactions, you can get that easily by doing Select All, and the total will appear in the upper right under the Search box. 

If you can describe what's not working the way you expect, perhaps we can find more information.
  • When I filter to only the last 30 days view
    The register balance is not accurate
    This behavior is relatively recent and only on MAC
  • Here is a recent discussion on the same topic

They recognized it as a bug :)

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7878589/incorrect-balance-when-selecting-transactions-on-register
  • jacobs
    @bbarnes1701d  The conversation you linked was concerning Quicken Windows; I didn't see anything relevant in there which pertains to Quicken Mac. Am I missing something?

When I filter to only the last 30 days view
    The register balance is not accurate
    I've tried this on various accounts in my Quicken file, and I'm not seeing any problem with, or change in, the running balance column or Today's Balance in the upper right of the register. (Which one of those are you seeing as incorrect?)

After you click the Last 30 Days filter, if you click on the Date column heading once to wire, does it change anything with the balances?

Please understand that my questions are only trying to understand what you're experiencing, and to (hopefully) be able to replicate them myself. This helps in reporting a bug, if this isn't already a known problem (perhaps it is; I don't know without more digging).
  • Ah good question
    I understand

In doing some testing the 30 day filter or any filter seems to be working now

Only a search for say “Amazon” changes the value in the Balance value be incorrect

So that is helpful.

Having search narrow to a transaction or set of transactions with the incorrect balance reputed is less of an issue than using a filter based on time.

I think I’m good now after the testing as I only use search to find a specific amount and the actual balance at that transaction being incorrect is not a big deal

Thanks for bearing with me on this. I am good with the current behavior now.

Have a great day 😀
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @bbarnes1701d When you are filtering with a column value search, the balance column shows you the running total of only the found transactions, not the balance in your account. This is intentional. The idea is to give the user the ability to see how just those transactions add up over time (or by whatever other sort is invoked). To call attention to this, the balance column is changed to light gray italics to clue you to the fact that it's not an actual account running balance.

(The Today's Balance at top right still does show the correct account balance.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    @bbarnes1701d I'm glad we worked through and clarified things, and that you can get what you expect now.  :) 

Just to wrap up in terms of the Balance column when a register is filtered by a Search term: in this case, a running balance of the account makes no logical sense, because the register isn't showing a range of transactions.

Let me illustrate with a small sample of transactions:

The running balance here makes sense. Now let's say you Search for Amazon transactions. If you expected it to display the Balance of the account as of the time the transaction occurred, you'd be asking for it to display this:

But those Balance numbers really make no sense out of context; they're meaningless, and would definitely confuse people.

So instead, when the results are filtered by a Search, the developers have chosen to show a running sum of the transactions in the search results. 

The running balance for the last item in the search results is the same as the total displayed under the search box. I don't know how helpful such a running sum is for people, but at least the numbers make sense.
This discussion has been closed.