UTX-OTIS-CARR RTN - RTX - How to handle multiple Lots and cost basis for these transactions?

Options
Using Q for Win, subscription, latest version.
Thank you to q_Lurker and others with comprehensive responses and analysis of this complex topic. My issue is that I had purchased UTX 2 different times over the years and have two Lots in the Security Detail. How do I maintain the transaction history and cost basis of the individual lots when doing the spinoffs and Corp Name Change sequence? I don't see how the Wizard takes multiple cost basis lots in to consideration when doing spin-offs. What am I missing? Thanks.

Best Answer

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    (My prior missive for those interested:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7875091/my-approach-to-utx-otis-carr-rtn-rtx/p1?new=1) 
    I don't see how the Wizard takes multiple cost basis lots in to consideration when doing spin-offs. What am I missing?
    Well, the program attempts to do it right -- but currently fails.  

I first note that when my prior info was offered, a different Corporate Spinoff action was in use.  The current approach using RtrnCapX, MiscIncX, and Add Shares is the methodology that I see failing for multiple lot holdings.  

The total RtrnCap value is correctly calculated using the basis of both (all) lots.  But that RtrnCap action deducts basis from the individual lot in proportion to number of shares when it should be in proportion to the lot's cost basis.

@tas99 My suggestion would be to go at it manually.  A quick review of my prior post I wrote:
    REMOVE SHARE of UTX
    ADD SHARES of OTIS (one per lot of the original UTX holding)
    ADD SHARES of CARRIER (one per lot of the original UTX holding)
    ADD SHARES of UTX (one per lot of the original UTX holding)

In you case there would be two of those ADD Shares in each case.

Post back if you have specific followup questions.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Can you start by telling us what happened, in what order, and when ... so that we don't have to look it up ourselves?
    Also, what Q product do you have?  Not all products have all the features.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    (My prior missive for those interested:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7875091/my-approach-to-utx-otis-carr-rtn-rtx/p1?new=1) 
    I don't see how the Wizard takes multiple cost basis lots in to consideration when doing spin-offs. What am I missing?
    Well, the program attempts to do it right -- but currently fails.  

I first note that when my prior info was offered, a different Corporate Spinoff action was in use.  The current approach using RtrnCapX, MiscIncX, and Add Shares is the methodology that I see failing for multiple lot holdings.  

The total RtrnCap value is correctly calculated using the basis of both (all) lots.  But that RtrnCap action deducts basis from the individual lot in proportion to number of shares when it should be in proportion to the lot's cost basis.

@tas99 My suggestion would be to go at it manually.  A quick review of my prior post I wrote:
    REMOVE SHARE of UTX
    ADD SHARES of OTIS (one per lot of the original UTX holding)
    ADD SHARES of CARRIER (one per lot of the original UTX holding)
    ADD SHARES of UTX (one per lot of the original UTX holding)

In you case there would be two of those ADD Shares in each case.

Post back if you have specific followup questions.