how to transfer investment account transations when moving from Mac to Windows?

Options
I just got a new windows laptop and installed the Windows subscription version. Ran the export to QXF file from the Mac and imported into the windows version. NONE of the accounts or 20 years of transactions in my Fidelity account came across. Spoke to support and a support supervisor. Said can't be done and to do it manually. Serious? I am supposed to go back and download statements and type all this in. Can't it be done with CSV files?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well I wouldn't say it's impossible but it may be very difficult.

Mac only has CVS exports I have no idea what that would look like for investments I've never seen that export.  My program called importQIF can translate CSV investment transactions to QIF for importing into Quicken Windows.  The main problem here run into is that there is no standardized format for what an investment transaction should look like or even what the action names are and so you would you have to give that kind of information to my program all importing since it's designed for a generic import and not specialized for you know Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows import.

The second part that you might run into is transfers are very problematic on importing into Quicken Windows in qif format.

You can get the program from here:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bob L
    Bob L Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks - I exported the cash transactions from an investment account (not buying and selling securities) in cvs then imported using your application. I created a new Banking account for the import hoping I could Move to the investment account but no luck. The Investment account is not a choice for the account to move too. Hard to believe Quicken can't move data from one platform to another, its just data.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob L said:
    Hard to believe Quicken can't move data from one platform to another, its just data.
    It takes time, effort and money, to write code, it doesn't just appear.  So it boils down to this. Quicken Inc doesn't think it is worth their effort.

On the importing of investment transactions, whether they be cash transactions of actual investment transactions they have to be imported into an investment account using the right "actions".  As you have found out you can't just treat them like a bank account and transfer move them over.

You have to go through the trouble of dealing with an investment import.  With an investment import you have different columns you have to map to, and as you are importing you have to define what a given "action term" means.  For instance one financial institution will use "Sell" the other "Sold".  ImportQIF ask for each new term.

If someone was willing to provide what Quicken Mac CSV format looks like and some action types I might be able to add some "more specific" conversion for Quicken Mac (up to the capability of QIF imports and the actions that I currently support {will not do some of the more complicated actions, and security lots aren't supported by QIF anyways").  But I'm not even sure how feasible that is given that it probably lot more involved than what would happen just for someone trying to import transaction from their financial institution.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.