Thinking about returning subscription update? Access to old files?

MalcolmH
MalcolmH Member
I am wanting to ":get off the bus" after using Q-2004, 2007, 2010,2016,2019subsc.,and now 2021subsc. Priced is going out of sight!! Pd. $58 for 2016dx (~$20/yr), then $66 for 2-yr sub. for 2019dx ($30/yr), now $39 for one year of 2021basic. But basic won't support brokerage, so now need 2021Premier ($78/yr)??

SO: Can I go back to 2019 and still have access to files updated through the 2019 subscription period? Realizing that 2019 may not have continuing security patches, can I still have functionality to work with data for 2020 and before? Reports? Exports? I will give up on Quicken for current and future downloads. The price escalation is just outrageous as I use NONE of the newer features, nor cell phone service, etc. etc. I just want my 2016 back good as new. I don't even care about the 2019 update. PLEASE...

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    First off the Deluxe edition will work just fine for investment accounts.  It just doesn't have some of the bells and whistles that Premier has.  Also you can probably get a better price at one of the retailers.

And you can't go "back to 2019", since 2018 Quicken has been "subscription", meaning that you always have the latest version.  You can let the subscription lapse, and do manual entry for Deluxe of above, but note that 25% of the windows is taken up by ads to renew.

To get back to a version that isn't subscription you have to install Quicken 2017 or 2016.  It has to be one of these, because year versions before that can't read your Quicken Subscription data file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • MalcolmH
    MalcolmH Member
    Thanks Chris_QPW.

It seems clear I need Premier. When I try to download investment data using Basic the splash screen says "This action requires Quicken Premier or above." If Deluxe will work it seems that the program goes beyond deceptive to dishonest.

Per using 2019 - I still have a couple weeks until expiration. I would "return" the 2021 Basic on the 30-day return policy. So the plan would be to archive off all accounts before expiration, then use the 2019 as expired to examine or process the older (not updated) files. Then do I have all functionality with the archived files - but have to put up with the adds (Sigh...)?

I might be able to resurrect 2016. That might be better. I never used or noticed any functionality differences in the past several years.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    First off even though these days I'm using Premier I used Deluxe for more years that I have Premier, and know it works fine for downloading investment accounts and the "compare" page even says so. And yes all over they push Premier as the "investment version", but that isn't the "min requirement".

On the "archive".  I wouldn't archive anything (as in use something like year end copy). I would have backups, but that should be a normal thing that you always do.  The file format isn't different between the different "editions" (Deluxe, Premier, ...).  In fact the program isn't different either.  It is the same program for all of them, it is the "license/subscription" that just tells the program to enable certain features and such.

And speaking of the data file format.  Every year Intuit would change that format, and when you got a new year version it would convert it and as such the older year version couldn't open the newer year's data file.  Quicken Inc changed that starting in 2016. From that point on they have kept the format backwards compatible.
    Signature:
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I will chime in that I downgraded to Deluxe last December and it provides all the investment features I need for several accounts.  It seems that you will need to return the Starter version but it might be worth trying Deluxe if tracking investments is important to you.  The benefit of having at least a Deluxe subscription is that if you do decide to discontinue it in the future, you can still manually input bank & Investment info (even with the renewal banner) whereas Starter becomes read only.  

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• MalcolmH
    MalcolmH Member
    Thanks jrich75.
    Thanks for the heads-up on the read only restriction. Based on these valuable comments I will either subscribe to Deluxe or try to abandon Quicken for future use, and get an older 2016 distribution working for past records.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    MalcolmH said:
    Thanks jrich75.
    Thanks for the heads-up on the read only restriction. Based on these valuable comments I will either subscribe to Deluxe or try to abandon Quicken for future use, and get an older 2016 distribution working for past records.
    In case you didn't see it, Deluxe is currently $41.99 from Best Buy or Staples.  Just be sure you get the DVD rather than the download that is for new subscribers only.,  Also, even if you let your subscription expire you should be able to manually enter as long as it is/was deluxe or above.  You have to deal with the renewal reminder but you don't have to revert to 2016.  You'll still have to manually enter transactions even with the 2016 version.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• MalcolmH
    MalcolmH Member
    Thanks all.
    Mostly it was a matter of principal as I just use Quicken as a central ledger. The $78/yr is certainly "affordable" but I objected to the continuous up-selling (cost 30%/yr compounded since 2016!!).
    So I think I fully understand the options to being tied to my legacy Quicken ledger.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In any of these postings, it always comes down to cost... vs ??? what ?
    How valuable is Quicken to you for keeping track of whatever finances you have ?
    For me - it is well worth the cost of the Deluxe version at $5 / month to handle all my accounts at .... Chase, PNC, Ally, and investments at Fidelity, Vanguard, TRowe.
    Is it worth $5 a month - you bet -
    For some - with just a checking account, it may not appear to be helpful, as there are less costly online products avail....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• allenvt
    allenvt Member
    edited March 2021
    [removed - duplicate/off-topic]
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    allenvt said:
    [removed - duplicate/off-topic]
    Your posting on a Quicken Windows thread, and what's more you are posting the same thing in multiple threads, which is considered spamming.
    Signature: