Manual Backup Notification

No longer getting a notification that my manual backup was successful. How do I get that back?

Answers

• YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why so many people use back up function within Quicken - it will only save you a few days worth of data entry. If your disk crashes or corrupts you will loose more than a day or so of data entry as both your main file and backup are in the same space? I hope you backup your entire data file to external or cloud storage that is the only thing that save real PC disasters.
  • macselvidge
    macselvidge Member ✭✭
    I do backup to an external drive, but where did the success notification go, and how do I turn it back on?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will find it under Edit>Preferences.

Never understood why they placed a silence this message option. If your backup fails, wouldn't you want to know? 
  • macselvidge
    macselvidge Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your help, but I'm using Quicken Starter edition, there's no "alerts & messages" among my preference selections. And inquiring minds should want to know.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help, but I'm using Quicken Starter edition, there's no "alerts & messages" among my preference selections. And inquiring minds should want to know.
    Well will have add that to the list of limitations for using the Starter edition.
    It looks like another casualty them blocking one feature and nocking off ones that should have been there.

As you can see from the dialog @GeoffG posted there are actually three feature preferences there.  The one in the middle you need seems like it should always be there, but for the other two they probably wanted to not let the user change them.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • macselvidge
    macselvidge Member ✭✭
    Could I back out of the last Quicken update. That's seems to be the last time the backup notification worked?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Could I back out of the last Quicken update. That's seems to be the last time the backup notification worked?
    I'm pretty sure this is a setting in the data file itself, so it would more likely need to be going to a backup of your data file.  If I'm wrong and it is a "user level" setting then you would need to do the QcleanUI uninstall procedure making sure to remove the folders they mention in the second section, and then reinstall.
    Using QcleanUI to Fix Installation Issues with Quicken for Windows

The least likely would be that it has anything to do with the latest update.
    To back out of a patch update you would have to uninstall and then install with no network/Internet so that not to get the latest patch and then install the one you want from here:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-subscription-patches.html
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    Never understood why they placed a silence this message option. If your backup fails, wouldn't you want to know? 
    I'm pretty sure this only silences the "backup succeeded" message, not "backup failed."
    I don't want to see "backup succeeded"; it's just one more thing to click away.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to see "backup succeeded"; it's just one more thing to click away.
    I would infer the absence of backup succeeded is backup failed. I do want to see.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    GeoffG said:
    I would infer the absence of backup succeeded is backup failed.
    Au contraire.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would infer that the lack of a failure message implies success.
    Signature:
  • UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't 'infer' anything! I want to see both success and failure messages.
    Quicken user since 1995.
    Current subscription user.
This discussion has been closed.