ongoing reconcile problem - for Mac

Crabcake
Crabcake Member
I've been a long time Quicken user and had many issues when converted from Windows to Mac. One checking account has never been correct and the problem is years back. I did the "adjustment" about a year ago and things were fine for awhile...until now...on the last statement Quicken seems confused again and the balance is off again. I'm sick of dealing with this and would like start fresh - beginning on January 1st. Do I just close the account and start up again or ???. Please advise...Thank-you!

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Crabcake

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. Generally with reconciling you'll want to find your discrepancy from the last point you know it was correct.  Is the balance off by a similar amount? One of the things you can try is to see if you may have something different from what your last statement was so that we're able to find the error. I'll leave an article down below with more things to check if the difference isn't zero that may help as well.

https://www.quicken.com/support/reconciling-accounts-quicken-mac

Once you get the chance let us know what you're able to find out and we'll see what we can do from there.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Crabcake
    Crabcake Member
    Hello again, thank-you for responding to my post. I have spent way too many hours trying to figure out where the errors were from years ago and not interested in wasting any more time with this. I want to start fresh and need suggestions on how to close out the current checking account. I would like to close it Dec.31, 2020 and still be able to access the information if necessary in future. Then make new account starting Jan. 1, 2021 and start fresh. Do I just close the account and delete everything from 2021? Is there a way to duplicate the whole account...then keep one, close the other (closed account delete all 2021/ open account I would delete everything before 2021 and adjust balance to correct amount??) Thank-you.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @Crabcake

Thanks for letting us know. If you'd like to create it as a new account you're able to do so by deactivating the accounts and then adding them again as new accounts. That way you're able to keep the current data and have a separate amount for the newer transactions. I'll leave steps below on how to do so.

First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Next we'll try deactivating all of the accounts. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Next you'll want to add a new account to Quicken. You can do so by going across the top to accounts > new. From here add your new account and you should see all your accounts listed after signing into the FI. Make sure it's selected as add to Quicken. 

once you've done this ideally the new account will be correct with no duplicates and you'll be able to correct the old one as well so you still have the data. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• kheitman
    kheitman Member ✭✭
    I am having a similar issue with my Quicken for Mac, except that after not using the software for a period of time I have a 3 month gap in bank transactions. Please help
  • Crabcake
    Crabcake Member
    Hello kheitman~ You have my sympathy with these irritating issues! The official Quicken replys were not really helpful. What I finally did was close the problem account and then change the name (to something like "old-account name"). I Then started a totally new account...in the process, somewhere I was able to tell bank to download everything starting Jan. 1, 2021. I later went back to the old/closed account and deleted everything from 2021 (so that file ended Dec, 31, 2020). This worked for me...hope this helps. Also, be sure to backup before in case something gets messed up! Good luck!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Most banks allow 90 days of transactions when downloading to Quicken; some allow more. In some cases, banks also allow downloading a QFX file which goes back longer -- often a year -- which can then be imported into Quicken. Mixing these methods will invariably result in duplicate transactions in one account which need to be weeded out, or in two accounts, which need to be weeded and merged.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.