Fidelity 401k fund prices not updating

KDL
KDL Member ✭✭✭
I have a 401k account with Fidelity, accessed through Netbenefits.com. It's an old IBM 401k. There are 3 funds in the account that are not standard mutual funds; they are special index funds offered only through this 401k. When I update the fund quotes and transactions monthly, the prices on these 3 funds don't change. This seems to have started in January 2021. The prices on other funds held in this account, such as Vanguard or Dodge & Cox funds, are updating correctly. I'm running R31.12 on a Windows 10 PC.

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @KDL, sorry, but only publicly traded securities are available for quotes.  You'll need to manually update the prices in Q on a frequency that you determine.
    To do that click TOOLS, Security List, click on the security name, click MORE and then EDIT Price History.
    OR, if you can get the prices in the proper CSV format for importing into Q, you could also go that route. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-import-data-quicken-windows

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• DDover
    DDover Member
    Did they ever update in Quicken? I work at HP and we had the same thing - some special HP only funds in our 401-K. They never updated in Quicken so I sold them and bought into "real" funds.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @KDL, sorry, but only publicly traded securities are available for quotes.  You'll need to manually update the prices in Q on a frequency that you determine.
    To do that click TOOLS, Security List, click on the security name, click MORE and then EDIT Price History.
    OR, if you can get the prices in the proper CSV format for importing into Q, you could also go that route. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-import-data-quicken-windows

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    KDL said:
    ...  When I update the fund quotes and transactions monthly, ....
    How are you updating the prices monthly?  If from a download from Fidelity Netbenefits, make sure the funds as represented in Quicken are matched to Fidelity's.  Since they are not publicly traded funds, they should not have the ticker of a publicly traded fund (no ticker is OK, though I prefer to make up my own ticker symbol in such cases).  See Edit Security Details to see if the securty is matched to an online security. 

NotACPA said:
    To do that ...

OR call up a portfolio view (Ctrl-U) or Holding view set to the correct As of date, and enter the correct prices in the Quote column.

• KDL
    KDL Member ✭✭✭
    The weird thing about these securities is that last year, they did update automatically. For some reason, they stopped.
  • GBQ
    GBQ Member ✭✭
    Have the name of the securities changed? Are you sure the CUSIP ID is matching? https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867852/add-a-cusip-to-a-security
  • KDL
    KDL Member ✭✭✭
    Mysteriously, the prices for these securities updated automatically. Quotes are always 1 day old, so on April 1 it reports price through March 31, but for some reason it worked this time. I'll check it again next month.
  • M$D
    M$D Member ✭✭
    I find those funds update when a transaction is recorded. As I no longer add regularly to my account, the updates only happen on re-balances etc.
  • JohnC
    JohnC Member ✭✭✭
    Fidelity "Netbenefits" is just serving as the management company for each individual company's 401k. The funds available are chosen by the individual companies. Mine was a ConocoPhillips plan transferred from Vanguard at the start of 2021. The only options available are Vanguard funds and many of them are special funds only available to plan participants.

Vanguard had a bad habit of creating offshoots of publicly traded funds that supposedly had lower fees but price information was only available in the plan and could no longer be looked up on Morningstar. That means the Quicken-Morningstar portfolio x-ray doesn't include them. The 401k plans are designed to make trading hard and sell additional advice.
This discussion has been closed.