Last Year's Investments/Portfolio Total Return as Percent

I want to see what my percent of Total Return is from last year. Is there a report that can show this? Thanks

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try the Investing > Investment Performance report. Set to Yearly and 2020. You can group by account or security if you want. It reports the Average annual return which is the same as IRR.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • netguydave
    netguydave Member ✭✭
    Is the IRR for the entire year of 2020 going to be the same percent as the portfolio's Total Return? When I do Total Rate of Return in Excel I get a different % than the IRR. Calculating IRR in Excel would be far more work than it's worth to compare to Quicken. Thanks.
  • Jim_Harman
    I don't know what calculation you are using for "total rate of return" but it you compare the result of Excel's XIRR function to the Investment Performance Report you will see that they are the same.

Caveats:
    -- When Quicken does a report for 1/1 to 12/31, it uses the prior year's 12/31 closing prices as the starting prices for the year, as it should.

-- The calculations may vary slightly because IIRC Quicken does not account for the extra day in leap years in its calculations.

-- When you are grouping by account, make sure "No security (includes cash)" is included in your security selections.

-- Remember that published returns for securities generally assume that dividends were reinvested and of course there were no purchases or sales during the period. if you did something different your results will also differ.

Please let us know how it goes.  
  • Jim_Harman
    For a further discussion of IRR / Avg Annual Return / XIRR see this discussion
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7637790/irr-calculations-wrong-within-q-2018-upgrade
  • netguydave
    netguydave Member ✭✭
    Thank you very much, Jim. Very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.