Year End Copy fails with File NOT Copied

Options
tr66zbxp
tr66zbxp Member ✭✭
As started in the question, my year end copy attempts all end with File NOT Copied. Have tried the following, after each one it still won't copy:

1. Ran Validate 3 times
2. Ran Super Validate
3. Ran Shift Year End Copy
4. Ran Shift Copy
5. Ran Shift+Control Year End Copy
6. Ran Shift+Control Copy

My file is 223 MB (was 230 MB before the validation) and I want to shrink it as Quicken has become so slow it's barely usable. Any idea how to do this? Want to remove anything prior to 2019.

Running R31.20 build 27.1.31.20
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @tr66zbxp

There are a few reasons why the year end copy may not work. One issue that often causes problems has to do with unreconciled transactions - which won't be archived but remain in the file.

Here's a LINK to some very helpful guidance on year-end copies.  I suggest that you read through it and then get back to us with specific followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @tr66zbxp

There are a few reasons why the year end copy may not work. One issue that often causes problems has to do with unreconciled transactions - which won't be archived but remain in the file.

Here's a LINK to some very helpful guidance on year-end copies.  I suggest that you read through it and then get back to us with specific followup questions.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• tr66zbxp
    tr66zbxp Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ended up restoring a backup from 2 weeks earlier. Super validated it, now copy and file copy "work" (they finish) but they're not actually filtering transctions. The file size stays the same and transactions from 2008 still appear even in accounts with zero downloaded or unreconciled transactions. Any hints on that?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @tr66zbxp

My understanding is that some transactions, from prior to the cut-off date one chooses, may still remain in the file and it may be difficult (or even impossible) to explain why.  As the article I referenced above noted, most of these are related to unreconciled transactions and many are often splits from such unreconciled transactions - but some users have found that not to always be the case.

I'd be curious to know if you tried the process again - using a copied file of the one you just did the year-end copy on - if the end result would be the same.

Frankx

• tr66zbxp
    tr66zbxp Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'll try it again but we're not talking a few lingering ones - we're talking all of them are being copied not just a few. Wouldn't even be bothering to do all this but hoping less data will prevent Quicken from locking up for 7-10 seconds after every single transaction is entered.
  • tr66zbxp
    tr66zbxp Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sequential copy (copy from the copy) didn't fix it. :confused:
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @tr66zbxp

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Being that the issue you are experiencing can have multiple causes-- It may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish and set up what you need.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

This discussion has been closed.