one step update from different accounts

My wife and I have different windows accounts on our home computer. Our Quicken file is on "Public" "users" path and we've both been accessing the same file and doing our own edits/updates for years and years. Recently (this calendar year), when my wife is logged into her windows account and opens the quicken file and then does a OSU, the system just spins and spins - says "waiting" for 30+ minutes and we end up using task manager to kill it. We log into my windows account and open the exact same file and do a OSU, it works just fine; everything synchs and downloads within a minute or so. Nothing, AFAIK, has changed. I can't even fathom what would cause OSU to work differently on the same file; both accounts are admin priv. We've operated like this for over 10+ years. I don't even know where to begin to look.

Answers

• gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @David, I've got Quicken (subscription) loaded on five computers in two different locations and have had the same issue previously. The quick fix (for me) was just to delete and reload Quicken on the PC in question. Of course, save/backup your data files (or copy a set from one of the other computers.) I always restart the computer to clear the cashe memory before reloading the program. You can try all kinds of things like Validate and Repair, etc.. but for me, that was the easiest fail safe fix. I'm sure some of the super users can give other suggestions, stay tuned and good luck.
    Quicken since Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money" V-12 (DOS)
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Core i7 
    Quicken Premier Subscription
  • David Hurlburt
    David Hurlburt Member ✭✭
    @gooddog50 Thanks for the suggestion. I reinstalled Quicken and tried it again. No luck :( It seems to be stuck/spinning on "Updating Financial institution information...."
  • gooddog50
    gooddog50 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    @DaveHulburt
    And you get no error message? Just for kicks, you might try: Tools > One Step Update Settings (not Update)> and un-tick each of the accounts for updating and try one at a time to see if (probably) your first/top account is hanging you up.
    Easy to try and might give you a clue..
    Work in progress..
    Clay
    Quicken since Andrew Tobias "Managing Your Money" V-12 (DOS)
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit, Core i7 
    Quicken Premier Subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have an answer, just maybe another place to look.
    Each individual QWin user has files in %APPDATA%\Quicken. Maybe something is messed up in wife's copy of that folder.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Another thing to try is to create a new user account and see if that works.  If it does, that implies that it is something in your wife's user profile (I would bet on something where @Rocket J Squirrel suggested)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • David Hurlburt
    David Hurlburt Member ✭✭
    @gooddog50 - I did this; it seems stuck on trying to do whatever it is upon start up (I guess).
    @Rocket J Squirrel interesting; I looked at the two directories: hers and mine...and her config directory is different; mine contains more files. I have a QHI.INI and a WPR.DAT file that hers does not.
    @Chris_QPW - that is an interesting idea; will try that next.
  • David Hurlburt
    David Hurlburt Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW -- update; I used a different user account and it worked; so there is something messed up in my wife's account. @Rocket J Squirrel if I deleted her roaming directory under AppData and reopened Quicken, would it think this was the 1st time this user-account opened Quicken?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW -- update; I used a different user account and it worked; so there is something messed up in my wife's account. @Rocket J Squirrel if I deleted her roaming directory under AppData and reopened Quicken, would it think this was the 1st time this user-account opened Quicken?
    Yes, in fact deleting that directory is part of a "QCleanUI" procedure to make your have a good setup for reinstalling.  But note " 1st time is just in reference to the settings that stored there, and most of the settings are stored in the data file.
    Signature:
  • David Hurlburt
    David Hurlburt Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW you aren't going to believe this. I renamed the Quicken directory to QuickenOLD. Launched Quicken. Did the whole "log in" process for a new user. Opened up our shared file. Launched OSU....SAME THING is happening. It just spins. Had to kill Quicken in task manager. I really thought we had it!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well then that points more to some kind of setting for the network in her Windows profile or maybe Quicken is actually using some Windows registry user setting, but I haven't noticed Quicken using the Windows registry that much.

You might be faced with moving her information (Documents and such) to a new Windows profile.
    Signature:
  • David Hurlburt
    David Hurlburt Member ✭✭
    HI @Chris_QPW . I was waiting to see if anyone else responded - maybe another Quicken superuser/admin. Oh well. Yeah, it is the strangest thing. I've deleted and re-added all my passwords to the password vault, too. I will likely try to recreate her Windows profile. Thank you for your quick responses and attention.
This discussion has been closed.