Quicken shows I am owed $10 but I am not.

Quicken subscription:
Year: 2020
Version: R29.22
Build: 27.1.29.22

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Version: 2004
OS Build: 19041.572

Quicken is showing that one of my clients owes me $10 from 2019. He is not. Why is it doing this and how do I fix it? The amount he paid me is the amount of my invoice to him.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Super Validate is accessed by holding Ctrl+Shift down while accessing the same menu for Validate that you have already. The pop up will say Super Validate this time as per the dialog below.

If the process comes back without highlighting any errors and since it looks like you have only a handful of transactions I suggest you go back through those historical ones line by line. Very difficult to have a discrepancy that is caused by the software (when it has no validation errors). 

For example did you book a sales tax entry on one of the invoices as owed that raised it from 320 to $330, but processed the payment for $320 without the sales tax or fee paid etc...there has to be a cause somewhere.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Please try this:
    Go to your Customer Invoices account register and open a New Customer Payment transaction dialog, select the customer name.
    Is there an amount shown in Existing Credits?
    If so, click to put a checkmark in Apply existing credits and select which of the Outstanding Invoices it should apply to.
    When you enter that transaction as a $0.00 invoice, it should update your records, but you will not see a register transaction for $0.00 invoices.

P.S.: When creating screen snapshots to attach here, please follow this procedure:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ Stephanie,

You did not indicate the version of Quicken you are using.(i.e. Starter, Deluxe, Premier, or Home, Business, Rental Property). 

If you are using Home & Business, you need to check your "customer accounts" to see why there is a $10.00 balance due.  To do this go to your "customer accounts" and determine why the balance exists.  It could be because the payment that was received was not properly allocated to the proper customer, or that a payment was applied to an incorrect customer.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Stephanie
    Stephanie Member ✭✭
    Home, Business, Rental Property.

My client does not owe me anything...except what I just invoiced.

When I click on the invoice, then payment history, it shows billed $1,020 and received $1,010. I don't know where that came from. When I received the payment, I linked it to my company register...$1,020. No more. No less.
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie Member ✭✭
    I deleted the payment. It showed the payment pending. It also showed another payment was short $10. Same client. Obviouslly, yet another glitch in the program. Because, when I added the payment, the previous short payment is gone and the new one is there. I imagine when he pays me for the current invoice, the $10 short will show for that invoice.
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie Member ✭✭
    Still having the issue. I went back in time. At the moment, the amount is $10 that shows it's paid when I am paid for my next invoice. Then that invoice shows I am owed $10 for the next invoice. But in 2017, I invoiced $517.50. When I look at the payment history, it shows $45 pd 6/12/17 and 472.50 pd 6/26/17. I was paid the full amount on 6/12. For the 517.50 client, it was the only time the payment showed weirdness. The $10 due started a few years ago but it didn't start showing up in my annual report until 2020. It's frustrating because when I click on the $10 paid, it goes to the entry with the full amount. The Payee Report is correct. It shows the correct and paid amounts (I filtered it to show payments only). The Annual Report shows I was paid $10 and $1310 but on the same date!!!
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Stephanie,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest you create a copy of your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. Then, try to Validate your data file in the copied file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              
    7. Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu
    8. Select File Operations
    9. Validate and Repair...
    10. Select Validate file
    11. Click OK
    12. Close the Data Log
    13. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    14. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate the copied file by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 9) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

If this does not resolve the issue, you can either switch back to your original file or restore the backup you saved prior to performing the above troubleshooting instructions (both the original and backup files should remain unaffected by the steps performed in the copied file).

Follow the steps below to switch back to your original file
    :
    1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Stephanie
    Stephanie Member ✭✭
    Thanks Anja. I'll let you know.
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie Member ✭✭
    Anja, I followed your instructions. All is still the same. I don't get an option for Super Validation. When I click on Validate, it goes straight through the validation process without stopping.
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Super Validate is accessed by holding Ctrl+Shift down while accessing the same menu for Validate that you have already. The pop up will say Super Validate this time as per the dialog below.

If the process comes back without highlighting any errors and since it looks like you have only a handful of transactions I suggest you go back through those historical ones line by line. Very difficult to have a discrepancy that is caused by the software (when it has no validation errors). 

For example did you book a sales tax entry on one of the invoices as owed that raised it from 320 to $330, but processed the payment for $320 without the sales tax or fee paid etc...there has to be a cause somewhere.
  • Stephanie
    Stephanie Member ✭✭
    Sadly, no errors. All entries are correct. But, I will verify them again. It's only one client. It's not like it shows he owes me $10 from a past invoice. Each time I receive payment, it shows that I received $10 less than I invoiced even though I received the full payment and entered it correctly. Next time I invoice, when I receive payment, it shows the last payment is the entire amount, and the latest payment is $10 light even though I received the correct amount.

I may uninstall Quicken, then reinstall. See what happens then.

Thanks.
    Stephanie
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Please try this:
    Go to your Customer Invoices account register and open a New Customer Payment transaction dialog, select the customer name.
    Is there an amount shown in Existing Credits?
    If so, click to put a checkmark in Apply existing credits and select which of the Outstanding Invoices it should apply to.
    When you enter that transaction as a $0.00 invoice, it should update your records, but you will not see a register transaction for $0.00 invoices.

P.S.: When creating screen snapshots to attach here, please follow this procedure:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• Stephanie
    Stephanie Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I was able to do what you said for his latest payment. But these two show no existing credits. So, I deleted the payments and added them back into my checking account. So now it shows nothing is owed. Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.