Why do current users have to pay more than new users for a year subscription of Quicken?

FJS
FJS Member
:# The past 3 months have been full of Major Quicken Issues preventing me from downloading my financial data (3 of my financial institutes were impacted by Quicken Issues). Instead of Intuit notifying me of the issues and how to resolve them, I had to spend 2 months searching the internet to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it. And things are still now working 100% correctly - duplicate transactions keep downloading. Now Intuit wants me to pay FULL PRICE for my Quicken renewal when I can buy Quicken at most stores for $20 less. Instead of charging me more Intuit should be offering me a large discount to compensate for all their programming screw ups this past year and their LACK OF CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

Best Answer

Answers

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi @FJS ,

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Hi @FJS,

NOTE - please see updated post below which indicates the information in the below LINK may have expired.

As far as renewing your subscription, my understanding is that you don't have to do it online through the Quicken app.  Unless the policy has changed, if you are within 6 months of your expiration date, and you can obtain an activation code from a purchase of Quicken from a retailer, other that Quicken itself (think Sam's Club, Amazon, BestBuy, etc.), you can use that activation code to extend your Quicken subscription. 
    Here's a link to a message thread that talks about this in detail LINK.  Although the thread is somewhat dated, to the best of my knowledge this process is still available.

Frankx

[Edited]

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Frankx ,

I don't know, if you notice the tread that special pricing is reserved for New Users only on the Retailers you mentioned. Quicken is not A.T. & T., where Old Users and New Users are now treated the same.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @thecreator,

At one point in that thread, someone indicated that a particular "discount" by a certain vendor was for new subscriptions only, however if you read further in the thread it indicates that it is available to current users within 30 days of their expiration date and there are even a couple of superusers in the thread that indicated it works for current subscribers.

As I mentioned in my post, the thread is old so I cannot be sure that Quicken has not changed its policies (the could have changed them last week for all I know) but I have seen nothing indicating that it did so.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    UPDATE

Hi again @FJS,

So I did a little more searching and found a very recent thread which seems to contradict my initial response above and says that you need to be a new user.  Here's a LINK to that thread.

Caveat Emptor!!

Frankx

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @FJS

I think everyone knows why Quicken Inc has this policy, it just that people are "shy" to say so.

The point is to get new users on the subscription and increase revenue using the carrot and stick.  The carrot to get new users (or old user that aren't using the online services) on the subscription is the discount.  Once you are on the subscription they must figure discontinuing your services and the big ad on the Window if you let your subscription lapse is enough of a stick to keep most people renewing the subscription.  Note if you have the Starter edition the "club" is even bigger in that it becomes read-only.  And as such there isn't any reason to offer you a discount at their site or while renewing.

As of why you can get a cheaper price from the retailers I think that is equally obvious.  It is a two way win for Quicken Inc and the retailers.  Each retailer that carries Quicken is an extra place that is advertising for them.  And by allowing them to sell for a reduced price means that people are more likely to browse their store/website than just take the easy way out and buy/renew from the Quicken website.  So that increases the traffic to their stores and therefore their profits.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/