Where are the stock symbols kept? And how to unwind mistakenly combined symbols?

During the import of a new investment account, I was prompted to answer whether a symbol already in the database matched the one imported. This was curious to me and in haste, I mistakenly associated a symbol I was currently using with the new one that was imported - and they aren't even the same stock. Pretty close symbol-wise, but not the same. For illustrative purposes, the existing symbol was ABB (Abb Ltd) and the new symbol is ABT (Abbott Labs). Not even close to the same industry.

I would like to unwind this however, even after "editing" the transaction, the symbol and everything else the app would let me try - the symbol still appears incorrectly and therefore does not correspond to the proper security when you click on the symbol (to see the current price, news, etc).

Is there a file somewhere or a tool/method that will allow me to disconnect the two. As it stands, when I try to select a security, ABT shows ABB on the same line in a highlighted color.

Thank you!
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Build 19042.867
Quicken 2020 Home & Business R32.10
USA
Tagged:

Best Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Using your example, you associated the new security Abbott to the existing security in Quicken ABB. ABB is now incorrectly matched to the brokerage’s Abbott security. 
    Edit The security details for ABB and uncheck the box “Matched to online security”. Next download, maybe sooner, you’ll be able to establish the correct match. 
    Not clear to me what your “As it stands ...” sentence means, but I think this will clear things up. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    In addition, you should go to the Security Detail View for your old security and review the Price history graph. If the data is incorrect or jumping up and down between the prices for the two securities, click on More then Edit Price History. Check the prices and delete or correct any wrong ones. 
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Using your example, you associated the new security Abbott to the existing security in Quicken ABB. ABB is now incorrectly matched to the brokerage’s Abbott security. 
    Edit The security details for ABB and uncheck the box “Matched to online security”. Next download, maybe sooner, you’ll be able to establish the correct match. 
    Not clear to me what your “As it stands ...” sentence means, but I think this will clear things up. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    In addition, you should go to the Security Detail View for your old security and review the Price history graph. If the data is incorrect or jumping up and down between the prices for the two securities, click on More then Edit Price History. Check the prices and delete or correct any wrong ones. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • rjsattler
    rjsattler Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, I was able to resolve the issue. For add'l clarity, the "as it stands" line meant I get a dialog stating the following when trying to edit the symbol:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    ABT ABB <- ABB is highlighted in blue text
    ABB ABB Ltd Common Stock

Thanks for the assistance!