Register Column to Post Reconcilation Date

Please recommend the best Register Column to use when reconciling to my Bank Statement. I want to enter the Statement End-of-Period Date in each transaction that has a match in the statement. I am using the Notes column but I can't Edit, Find, or Replace. The Tag column would allow Edit, Find, and Replace, but Quicken uses it to show Splits, Transfers, Tax designations, and other categorizations. The Split designation also appears in the Category column, so maybe it wouldn't be needed in both columns. Items that are tagged Transfer could not also be tagged with a reconciliation date. What are other users doing to mark a transaction as reconciled -- that is, matched to the Bank Statement? (Quicken for Windows 10 Home version R32.10)
Tagged:

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Removed,  I misunderstood the question.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Bill Blaney,

The vast majority of folks simply use the Clr (for "Clear") column for indicating:
    1) first, that the transaction has "cleared" the bank, and
    2) second, that it has been reconciled to the (usually) month end bank statement.

If you feel it necessary to include more data to a transaction for some reason, I would suggest that you simply append that info to whatever you normally place in the "Memo" field.

Hope this helps.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Bill Blaney
    Bill Blaney Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Hi Frankx, thanks for your reply. In my Chase checking account I have had to add transactions and delete duplicate transactions, in order to balance my Quicken to my bank statement. I wanted each transaction to show the end-of-period statement date as mm-dd-yyyy. Some of the Quicken Transaction Dates have been way off, and so I can't rely on it or the Posting Date to record what bank statement I reconciled to. I have settled on using the Notes column even though I can't edit a range of reconciled transactions by updating the Notes field with this date. Due to my changes needed to reconcile, the transactions I needed to add and delete, my Quicken Cloud Sync is showing errors. Is there a way to clear this up? Appreciate your help.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Bill Blaney

Thank you for the response and the additional details. If you are needing assistance with a sync error, I would begin by resetting the Quicken cloud.

First, save a backup and then follow the steps below to complete this process.

1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web 

2. Click Reset your cloud data. 

Please let us know if this resolves the error. 

-Quicken Tyka 

~~~***~~~
  • Bill Blaney
    Bill Blaney Member ✭✭✭
    Hello Quicken Tyka, and thank you for the suggestion.

Your email address says “noreply” but your message says I can “Reply to this email directly”. I replied in email a few minutes ago and then discovered there was more to say. So please disregard that email.

I ran the cloud reset as you suggested. At first,It seemed to return only one message, that a transaction for $-20.00 was not synced. Then I clicked to go forward and found there were the same errors I had before.

I have a repeating weekly payment from Chase to a charity. The issue dates shown as Transaction Dates in Quicken don’t match up the actual issue dates shown in the bank statement.

To put this in context, Quicken has not received every Chase transaction. Other times, Quicken has received the same transaction twice. Many of these errors are Chase repeating payments. I catch these when I reconcile Quicken to the Chase bank statement.

In summary, the cloud reset did not seem to work.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Bill Blaney

Thank you for the response. We are waiting for an update from our service provider to correct the language in the email as you may not reply via email, you will need to visit the Community to add a response. I apologize for any confusion this has caused.

Do you actively use the mobile or web application? If not, you may be able to disable the sync process altogether to avoid this issue.

The sync settings are located under Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web, there will be an on-off toggle.

I also download transactions from Chase and do not encounter the issue that I need to manually edit the date on the downloaded transactions. I do, however, reconcile to the online balance and forgo using the statement balance.

This may be a solution to consider, to learn more about reconciling to the online balance, please see the information available here.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Bill Blaney
    Bill Blaney Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Hello, Quicken Tyka. Thanks for your ongoing support. From now on I will reply and comment here in the Community Website.

The conversation has gone from which Register column to use for reconciling to my bank account, to issues with Chase downloads. To me it's related. Any suggestions on what topic to show?

To answer your question, I haven't been using the Mobile or Web Application. I turned it off following your steps. Is there a known problem? I hate giving up a feature. :-/

I have been manually editing the downloaded transactions in Quicken, so they balance to the Chase bank statement. I have a repeating payment each week. Those entries seem to be either duplicated or absent. It's hard to tell the exact issue using the Quicken Transaction Date, because it varies significantly from the date the bank statement shows.

I reconcile Chase and other credit card accounts by selecting the range of Transaction Dates the bank statements shows. I select Deposits and I balance the total to what the statement shows. Usually the Deposits are correct. I select Payments and try to balance that total. If I am "over" in Quicken I look for duplicate payments. If I am "short" in; Quicken I look for transactions in the bank statement that are missing in Quicken. In this approach it's possible the seemingly duplicate or missing transaction has a Quicken Transaction Date outside my range.