how do I enter federal agency securities into Quicken?

Options
I am tracking my IRA investments, and can't figure out how to enter Federal Agency securities such as Federal National MTG ASSN POOL MA3517 into Quicken.

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    What, exactly, is the problem? 
    If the issue is getting the "Buy" dollars correct, understand that these MBSs aren't priced in a real straightforward manner.  Although there's a "quote" number you can see, there's also a "factor" that comes into play in determining the price; the factor is a function of principal paydown in the pool.  So your purchase is calculated as Quote x 10 x #of Bonds x Factor + Accrued interest.  Quicken doesn't have a "factor field" so you have to back into the "market price" to use as
    (Total cost - accrued interest) divided by # of Bonds.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    What, exactly, is the problem? 
    If the issue is getting the "Buy" dollars correct, understand that these MBSs aren't priced in a real straightforward manner.  Although there's a "quote" number you can see, there's also a "factor" that comes into play in determining the price; the factor is a function of principal paydown in the pool.  So your purchase is calculated as Quote x 10 x #of Bonds x Factor + Accrued interest.  Quicken doesn't have a "factor field" so you have to back into the "market price" to use as
    (Total cost - accrued interest) divided by # of Bonds.