Why does Quicken use base 100 when editing an investment transactrion

Options
bobthegrey1
bobthegrey1 Member
edited February 10 in Investing (Windows)
I am trying to edit a transaction in my IRA. I enter the number of bonds as 500 and the price as 100. Quicken calculates the Principal Amount as $500,000 when it should be $50,000. It says (base 100) to the right of the price box. This is an obvious error and I can't find anyway to change the number in (base xxxx). This is PXssing me off as I need to get this done to correct an error. I can't seed a way to attach a screen print of the problem or I would.

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    It is confusing. Tell Quicken you bought 50 bonds in the Bonds Bought transaction and I think the math will work out. Here is a transaction of mine (which happened to involve a bond premium, which is irrelevant). Notice that the cost bases match in two places, but the number of bonds is different by a factor of 10.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    It is confusing. Tell Quicken you bought 50 bonds in the Bonds Bought transaction and I think the math will work out. Here is a transaction of mine (which happened to involve a bond premium, which is irrelevant). Notice that the cost bases match in two places, but the number of bonds is different by a factor of 10.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• ZMan1313
    ZMan1313 Member
    Options

I can't answer your question as to why, but I found a way around it. If you enter it as 50 @ 100 (base 10) as Rocket J Squirrel suggested to get the correct total of $50,000, you can then go to the transaction list and edit it. During the edit the "(Base 10)" next to the price box disappears and Quicken will let you enter, e.g., 50 bonds at $1,000 each or 500 at $100 each if you want.

This discussion has been closed.