Apply payee rules to multiple transactions at once

Options
I have hundreds of uncategorized transactions. Rather than manually updating each one, is there a way to apply payee rules to multiple transactions? For example, can I filter on a given payee then apply the rules to all the transactions in the filter?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In a register, use the Search box to find a particular Payee, or control-click on a Payee name and select "Find [Payee Name]". Scroll the register to make sure you don't have any unintended stray transactions, then click command-A to Select All. Then select Transaction > Edit Transaction and the Transaction Info window will open. Enter the Category you want for these transactions, click OK, and they will all be updated.

There's one important caveat to this approach: it does not work on split lines in split transactions. There is currently no way to mass-edit split lines; you'll have to edit them individually.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In a register, use the Search box to find a particular Payee, or control-click on a Payee name and select "Find [Payee Name]". Scroll the register to make sure you don't have any unintended stray transactions, then click command-A to Select All. Then select Transaction > Edit Transaction and the Transaction Info window will open. Enter the Category you want for these transactions, click OK, and they will all be updated.

There's one important caveat to this approach: it does not work on split lines in split transactions. There is currently no way to mass-edit split lines; you'll have to edit them individually.
  • Chfrat160
    Chfrat160 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Will Quicken automatically update (with new category) past downloaded transactions which are in the register but not highlighted? I guess I am looking for some sort of refresh button to apply new memorized rule to past downloaded entries to avoid having to search, sort and apply the new category.
  • jacobs
    Options
    No. You can select multiple transactions and mass-edit them, but Quicken will only change the ones you tell it to change. (You can imagine the outcry if it changed past transactions which users didn't intend to be changed.) 

As I described, all you need to do is Search for a Payee and select Edit to apply the category you want.
This discussion has been closed.