migrating-from-2006-to-2019-versions

Options
Is it even possible to migrate from Quicken 2006-to-2019-versions

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @RichardCanada  Yes it is technically possible, but doing so may involve some steps which will be difficult to achieve.

Just to clarify one thing, when you refer to Quicken 2019, are you saying that the version you have is displaying Quicken 2019 and you do not have a current subscription? Since fall 2017, Quicken has been sold on a subscription basis, and now there is no year attached to the name -- it's just "Quicken". So I wanted to be clear if you're trying to update to the current version of Quicken, or if you're trying to update to an old version of Quicken 2019 for which online services have expired? If you have and can launch this Quicken, what version number is in About Quicken?

Next: do you still have a running copy of Quicken 2006? If so, please share what Mac(s) and operating system(s) you are using. Quicken 2006 can only run on macOS up to Snow Leopard (10.6), while Quicken 2019 required macOS El Capitan (10.11) and above, and the current Quicken Mac requires High Sierra (10.13) or higher. So you're likely dealing with two different Macs here, unless you just have an old Quicken 2006 file from a former computer which you're now trying to convert.

Here's the short version of what comes next: it's possible but unlikely that modern Quicken Mac will open a Quicken 2006 data file, as only Quicken 2007 files are officially supported for import. Quicken 2006 users at one time reported some success importing 2006 data files into modern Quicken Mac, but in recent years, most reports I've seen here have reported failure trying to do that migration. So you will likely need Quicken 2007 to open your Quicken 2006 data file, and then be able to import the Quicken 2007 data file into modern Quicken Mac. But depending on the operating system on your newer Mac, you may not be able to run Quicken 2007. Since we're getting into a lot of "what if…" branches on this process, I'm going to stop here and let you fill in some of the blanks so we can advise you better on next steps.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @RichardCanada  Yes it is technically possible, but doing so may involve some steps which will be difficult to achieve.

Just to clarify one thing, when you refer to Quicken 2019, are you saying that the version you have is displaying Quicken 2019 and you do not have a current subscription? Since fall 2017, Quicken has been sold on a subscription basis, and now there is no year attached to the name -- it's just "Quicken". So I wanted to be clear if you're trying to update to the current version of Quicken, or if you're trying to update to an old version of Quicken 2019 for which online services have expired? If you have and can launch this Quicken, what version number is in About Quicken?

Next: do you still have a running copy of Quicken 2006? If so, please share what Mac(s) and operating system(s) you are using. Quicken 2006 can only run on macOS up to Snow Leopard (10.6), while Quicken 2019 required macOS El Capitan (10.11) and above, and the current Quicken Mac requires High Sierra (10.13) or higher. So you're likely dealing with two different Macs here, unless you just have an old Quicken 2006 file from a former computer which you're now trying to convert.

Here's the short version of what comes next: it's possible but unlikely that modern Quicken Mac will open a Quicken 2006 data file, as only Quicken 2007 files are officially supported for import. Quicken 2006 users at one time reported some success importing 2006 data files into modern Quicken Mac, but in recent years, most reports I've seen here have reported failure trying to do that migration. So you will likely need Quicken 2007 to open your Quicken 2006 data file, and then be able to import the Quicken 2007 data file into modern Quicken Mac. But depending on the operating system on your newer Mac, you may not be able to run Quicken 2007. Since we're getting into a lot of "what if…" branches on this process, I'm going to stop here and let you fill in some of the blanks so we can advise you better on next steps.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.