Quicken message is disrupting other screens like Home, Spending and Bills and Payments

RobL
RobL Member
New screen about updating Quicken is taking over my Quicken Screen. I do not use any Quicken Services and will renew for updates when I deem it necessary. How to close that screen? Hope Quicken is tuning in! Leave my software alone! I spend my fixed income when I deem necessary.

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    RobL said:
    Thanks for the input. So, if I read that right, you're saying that that a Quicken file saved in a 2019 version can be opened by a 2016 or newer version? 
    Yes that is correct.

And just to absolutely clear, the "year" on any version from 2018 onward is "meaningless marketing", they are all "Subscription".  If I install from the install program I had for "Quicken 2018" it would immediately update to the latest version(EDIT provided that my subscription hasn't lapsed), which is currently R32.10.  The help screen and the title bar no longer have any "year version".

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Blacbird319
    Blacbird319 Member
    Answer ✓
    I have no objection a subscription. I object to the bully tactics used to enforce the subscription. All the stuff, except for software upgrades, that they say I am missing out of I don't use. The program is working fine for me right now. Why renew for services that I don't use? The argument about whose software it is, theirs or ours, is old. I agree that buying it and then selling on the black market should be objected to. But I bought it for my use. I am not sharing it. I shouldn't be punished for that. That "license" rhetoric is just them trying to milk more money out their captive user base. I have a friend that uses something else that he is trying to get me to use and his biggest selling point is that it doesn't nag, let's him install it on several machines, has android and IOS apps and can set up an independent web storage. I am really considering switching.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ONLY way to close/remove the Nag screen is to renew your Q subscription.
    And, I'll wager that you use the "Quicken services" to update your software when bug fixes come out ... that's a "Quicken service" also.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    An alternative to renewing your subscription is to procure QW2016 or QW2017. Those versions will open your subscription version's file and they do not have a nag screen. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• RobL
    RobL Member
    Shame on Quicken. Not every user requires a subscription and they should stay out of our software!
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RobL said:
    Shame on Quicken. Not every user requires a subscription and they should stay out of our software!
    Which is one reason I am still on QW2017. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RobL said:

It's NOT your software.  It's theirs.  You only bought a license to run Q, not Quicken itself.
    And, if you're not renewing, you're not providing any income to Q ... which they need to provide bug fixes and new features the same as any company needs to continue producing their products.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• RobL
    RobL Member
    A lot of companies offer a lifetime upgrade version of their software and that I always go for if it is reasonable. I bought my copy of that software when there was not a subscription service and they should leave it alone. I like the idea of AW2016 or 2017. I may even have copies since I upgraded fairly regularly before I retired.
  • RobL
    RobL Member
    By the way, I never heard of Quicken Services for updates or bug fixes. Interesting.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    RobL said:
     I bought my copy of that software when there was not a subscription service and they should leave it alone. 
    Quicken has been "Subscription" since 2018, that is in fact why the suggestion about 2017 and 2016.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    RobL said:
    By the way, I never heard of Quicken Services for updates or bug fixes. Interesting.
    What this means is no matter if you first bought in 2018 or yesterday, as long as you keep the subscription up you are always updated to the latest version when it comes out.

With the old Intuit policy basically you got patches to about April of the next year and then that was usually that last update you would see for that "year version" of Quicken even though the "online services" and support were for about 3.5 year from the time it was released.

Also there was never a time where you could take a data file opened by a newer version, and open it in an older version.
    Quicken Inc changed that in Quicken 2016 keeping the data file format backwards compatible.  They didn't have to do that, and I'm sure there are some extra constraints on them to ensure that.
    Signature:
  • RobL
    RobL Member
    Thanks for the input. So, if I read that right, you're saying that that a Quicken file saved in a 2019 version can be opened by a 2016 or newer version? I'll probably update through Quicken just to get the latest version eventually. I use to use MS Money, but that was pretty much abandoned by Microsoft. I don't use any online services through Quicken, just book keeping, but I like the product. If their nag screen gets any bigger though, I'll have to do something (update or go to Q2017 which I found I still have). Thanks again!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    RobL said:
    Thanks for the input. So, if I read that right, you're saying that that a Quicken file saved in a 2019 version can be opened by a 2016 or newer version? 
    Yes that is correct.

And just to absolutely clear, the "year" on any version from 2018 onward is "meaningless marketing", they are all "Subscription".  If I install from the install program I had for "Quicken 2018" it would immediately update to the latest version(EDIT provided that my subscription hasn't lapsed), which is currently R32.10.  The help screen and the title bar no longer have any "year version".

Signature:
  • Blacbird319
    Blacbird319 Member
    Answer ✓
    I have no objection a subscription. I object to the bully tactics used to enforce the subscription. All the stuff, except for software upgrades, that they say I am missing out of I don't use. The program is working fine for me right now. Why renew for services that I don't use? The argument about whose software it is, theirs or ours, is old. I agree that buying it and then selling on the black market should be objected to. But I bought it for my use. I am not sharing it. I shouldn't be punished for that. That "license" rhetoric is just them trying to milk more money out their captive user base. I have a friend that uses something else that he is trying to get me to use and his biggest selling point is that it doesn't nag, let's him install it on several machines, has android and IOS apps and can set up an independent web storage. I am really considering switching.
This discussion has been closed.