Help installing Quicken Deluxe 2016 on another computer after first computer gave up ghost.

Options
I have been using quicken for a long time. My last version is Quicken Deluxe 2016. I do not want a subscription, nor do I ever down load my banking information or pay bills thru Quicken. I only use it for an electronic checkbook register for my accounts as I find it very helpful for me to manually enter each transaction. This gives me the ability to search for items purchased in the past when I need this info. Plus, since I enter each transaction, usually on the day I make the purchase, it is very easy to keep up with, sort of like me writing it in my paper checkbook register. I have my data, as it was backed up when my computer crashed. I have the disk. Can I simply install the program on my new computer, then upload the data from my backup file?

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am currently using the Quicken subscription plan but in the past, I have reinstalled Quicken on a different computer when my older computer crashed. I imported data files from an external hard drive with no problem.
    A suggestion if you are not already doing so. Always have more than one backup. In addition to the backup file on my computer, I also back up to a flash drive and an external hard drive. Dropbox is also another option. 
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes you can but after you install Q2016 you will have to update it from here.  One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• JohnL
    JohnL Member
    Options
    Thanks. I tried to install Quicken Deluxe 2016 from my CD. I then downloaded the latest patch that volvogirl listed the link for. When I tried to run Quicken after install, the register came up, but a window popped up saying that my subscription had expired and I needed to go online to them. When I clicked the OK button, the program automatically closes. I do not mine paying a fee to add it to a second computer, but I just want it to be without having to subscribe annually. I really just need a basic checkbook register program. I do not need it to download from my bank or pay bills. What would happen if I went ahead and subscribed for one year, then cancel the subscription at the end of year one? Would I still be able to add transactions to my accounts like I do now, or would the file simply be read only taking away my ability to add further transactions? If it does this, can someone recommend another program. Thanks.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wait for someone else to reply.  You should be able to use 2016 manually without going online.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @JohnL Please attach a screenshot of the dialog that popped up.  If you don't see the picture icon above the comment box to include an image then just drag and drop the image on the comment box.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/