Can I use Quicken 2017 for mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 and later versions?

AANewton
AANewton Member
Currently I am using Quicken 2017 mac version 4.8.6 (build 48.20336.100) with macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6 on MacBook Air (13 in, Early 2015). Need to upgrade macOS to Mojave 10.14 and higher to use other software. Will I be able to continue to use Quicken 2017 after the macOS upgrade? Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can run Quicken 2017 on Mojave. Keep in mind that around the time Mojave came out in fall 2018, Quicken 2017 was replaced by Quicken Subscription (aka Quicken 2018), so they didn't test the older version extensively for compatibility -- but I don't recall seeing any reports of problems. I have an old copy of Quicken 2017 on my iMac running Mojave, and although I don't use it for my live work, it appears to work perfectly well.

As you move forward to macOS Catalina and Big Sur, you increase the likelihood that something Apple changed or tweaked could break something in Quicken 2017. Again, I don't think I've seen any reports of such problems; you should just be aware that the further you advance in operating systems, there more likely you'll be pushed to need to upgrade Quicken to a newer version. But for now, I believe you should be fine. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can run Quicken 2017 on Mojave. Keep in mind that around the time Mojave came out in fall 2018, Quicken 2017 was replaced by Quicken Subscription (aka Quicken 2018), so they didn't test the older version extensively for compatibility -- but I don't recall seeing any reports of problems. I have an old copy of Quicken 2017 on my iMac running Mojave, and although I don't use it for my live work, it appears to work perfectly well.

As you move forward to macOS Catalina and Big Sur, you increase the likelihood that something Apple changed or tweaked could break something in Quicken 2017. Again, I don't think I've seen any reports of such problems; you should just be aware that the further you advance in operating systems, there more likely you'll be pushed to need to upgrade Quicken to a newer version. But for now, I believe you should be fine. 
  • AANewton
    AANewton Member
    @jacobs Thank you for your response and the advice. I realize that I will have to upgrade to a newer version of Quicken in not too distant future. Will upgrade my mac OS to Mojave now.
  • AANewton
    AANewton Member
    @jacob A followup question. Will Quicken for Mac 2017 work on later macOS versions - all the way to Big Sur? Thanks.
  • jacobs
    @AANewton  I can't personally vouch for it; I've stuck with Mojave because of some other 32-bit software I haven't wanted to pay to replace in order to move to Catalina or Big Sur. But to the best of my knowledge, Quicken 2017 will run fine on any macOS up through Big Sur. I have not read any reports of users being unable to run Quicken 2017 on Catalina or Big Sur; while the majority of Quicken Mac users have moved on to newer versions to maintain download capabilities and take advantage of improvements in the program, there are certainly still some Quicken 2017 users out there and I'm sure some of them are on Catalina and Big Sur. (Usually when a macOS upgrade is incompatible with older Quicken software, there's an outpouring of posts about it almost immediately.)
This discussion has been closed.