In Planning/Budget, I created new Parent Categories:

Instead of Personal Income, I created Monthly Income and Other Income. Same with expenses. Then I assigned subcategories to these Parent Categories. However, when I produce any Report, it continues to show Personal Income and Personal Expenses instead of my Parent Categories. How can I fix this?

Best Answers

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    I suspect what you call "parent categories" are what Quicken calls Category Groups.    If so, to show the correct category groups in the current budget report, you will need to:

1. Ensure the desired category groups are selected under the Category Groups tab and 
    2. Ensure that the Organization pull down, in the Display tab, is set to "Category Group"
    See first image.

If memory serves me....not all reports have both these options, but the standard budget reports do.   

Selecting the above paraments give you this in the current budget report:

Stepping back a bit....You can verify your relationships between Category Groups, Categories, and Sub-categories by going to Tools>Category List>Options button.

• Scooterlam
    Answer ✓
    I've been looking but cannot find a report that you might use and modify.    Perhaps you can look at the various Quicken standard reports for budget, income & expense or cash flow.   It's proved difficult to find a report that allows organization by category group that shows a "collapsed view" of your Expense v Income groups not to mention a delta between inflows and outflows.  Sorry.  Perhaps others can lend some input.

If you find something close, after some customization,  don't forget you can export the report to Excel for further manipulation.

If you're still at a loss for a suitable report format, then feel free to create an Idea post in this forum, describe the need and illustrate the format you would like to see.   Quicken uses Idea posts (and user voting) as input to future product development.

Answers

• Scooterlam
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    I suspect what you call "parent categories" are what Quicken calls Category Groups.    If so, to show the correct category groups in the current budget report, you will need to:

1. Ensure the desired category groups are selected under the Category Groups tab and 
    2. Ensure that the Organization pull down, in the Display tab, is set to "Category Group"
    See first image.

If memory serves me....not all reports have both these options, but the standard budget reports do.   

Selecting the above paraments give you this in the current budget report:

Stepping back a bit....You can verify your relationships between Category Groups, Categories, and Sub-categories by going to Tools>Category List>Options button.

• DonShren
    DonShren Member ✭✭
    Thank you. Follow up question: How can I get subtotal difference between Monthly Income and Monthly Expense and separately for Other Income and Other Expenses?
  • Scooterlam
    Answer ✓
    I've been looking but cannot find a report that you might use and modify.    Perhaps you can look at the various Quicken standard reports for budget, income & expense or cash flow.   It's proved difficult to find a report that allows organization by category group that shows a "collapsed view" of your Expense v Income groups not to mention a delta between inflows and outflows.  Sorry.  Perhaps others can lend some input.

If you find something close, after some customization,  don't forget you can export the report to Excel for further manipulation.

If you're still at a loss for a suitable report format, then feel free to create an Idea post in this forum, describe the need and illustrate the format you would like to see.   Quicken uses Idea posts (and user voting) as input to future product development.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DonShren  I think that your reports request is going to actually need 2 reports.
    And Income/Expense report with only the Monthly Income & Expense categories included and a 2nd with those categories excluded ... but all others included.
    Then, you'd need to do additional math yourself ... or export to Excel as @Scooterlam suggested.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• DonShren
    DonShren Member ✭✭
    Thank you both (I am new to this, so I hope you see my comments here). I appreciate your quicken reply (pun intended). I exported my report to excel and had the excel program calculate the "differences". This works better than the manual calculations I had done. And it took less than 5 minutes to do it all
  • DonShren
    DonShren Member ✭✭
    BTW, how do you post an "idea" suggestion?
  • Scooterlam
    edited April 2021
    @DonShren You can post your idea in the ideas portion of the community here:  https://community.quicken.com/categories/product-ideas

Navigate to the Reports (Window) forum and click New Idea button, as shown in the image.  As mentioned earlier describe your need and illustrate for clarity.   

Before doing so, you might want to search to see if an existing (or similar idea) was posted that you can vote on.  Doing so will save you time and save the product team time as well when they consolidate idea candidates for possible development.

This discussion has been closed.