Sidebar Balance incorrectly shows Register Balance

Options
Today, my register balance in one account displays $1.00, but in the sidebar, the balance for this same account displays $4k. How do I fix this? (The other accounts' balances are displaying correctly in the sidebar.) I am not finding a function in the Quicken app where I could synchronize the current balance between the register and sidebar for this particular app. Here's what I've done already: 1) Made a download transaction update (aka "visit") with the bank to update the account, and the balance in the register is correct, and 2) checked settings between this account and the other accounts to make sure they are the same. Will appreciate any advice!

Best Answer

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @rogers.a
    It is not exactly clear after your last message, but I assume the balances still do not match.

So some things to consider:
    1. There are actually three balances displayed in Quicken for an investment account: Sidebar, Market Value, and register running balance. The Sidebar and Market Value should match. However, the register running balance reports only the Cash available in the account and not the value of the securities.
    2. You can also see the current Cash available using the Portfolio view with Portfolio Value selected in the display settings under the graph.
    3. Which balance(s) match your financial institution's statement (or online summary)?
    4. As an aside: note that in Portfolio view you can change the "Price and Holdings as of" date and that will change the reported Market Value and Cash appropriately - which can be useful when trying to match a monthly or quarterly statement.
    Hope this helps.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    There are several differences between the sidebar and register balances.

First, in the upper right of your register, under the Search box, click on the little clock icon and set one of the reminder settings; Next One, Next 30 Days, or anything other than Don't Show Reminders. This will display and scheduled transactions not yet marked paid or deposited. These items affect both the register balance and sidebar balance. 

Next, check the label above the total in the upper right of your register. Try setting to Today's Balance if that's not what it's already set on. This will include scheduled transactions not market paid/deposited for today and prior, but not scheduled transactions on future dates.

Finally, at the top of the sidebar, click the ••• icon and set it to "Show Today's Balance in Sidebar" if it is not already.

If both the register and sidebar are set to Today's Balance, they should agree. You can then experiment with setting one or either to Projected Balance, which will add in future scheduled transactions, if you wish.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rogers.a
    rogers.a Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Jacobs, thanks! I neglected to mention that this "A" account is a retirement account and thus, I don't seem to be able to get the "Today's Balance" for the this register. Only "Market Value" appears for the total. I however, adjusted the reminder setting to "next one. The sidebar already displays today's balance, except for the this one A account. (Interestingly, I also have two other retirement accounts, "B" and "C", and both "B" or "C" shows the same total amount both in the sidebar and register. )
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @rogers.a
    It is not exactly clear after your last message, but I assume the balances still do not match.

So some things to consider:
    1. There are actually three balances displayed in Quicken for an investment account: Sidebar, Market Value, and register running balance. The Sidebar and Market Value should match. However, the register running balance reports only the Cash available in the account and not the value of the securities.
    2. You can also see the current Cash available using the Portfolio view with Portfolio Value selected in the display settings under the graph.
    3. Which balance(s) match your financial institution's statement (or online summary)?
    4. As an aside: note that in Portfolio view you can change the "Price and Holdings as of" date and that will change the reported Market Value and Cash appropriately - which can be useful when trying to match a monthly or quarterly statement.
    Hope this helps.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • rogers.a
    rogers.a Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Ihossus, thank you very much. Your comments to consider were very helpful and I saw how I was interpreting the data incorrectly. I understand now how different the data is presented when talking about banking or investing, ie. cash vs. market value. Gracias. -Amy
This discussion has been closed.