How large can your Quicken Mac file get? I have back to 2005 and I worry it will lock up

Options
Dawn B
Dawn B Member
is there any way to do an archive of older data in order to make the file size smaller? I worry that it will get too large and not work.

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Here's a lengthy discussion about Year End Copy for Mac:
    Please read it, vote for it and add your own comments. The more votes, the more comments, the more likely it is that the Quicken developers change their mind.
    But please remember ... after you split your data file into two pieces, Humpty (the archive file portion) and Dumpty (the currently active, reduced size file) cannot be put together again, unless the developers also create a tool to correctly re-combine the two files back into one.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Modern Quicken Mac uses an industrial SQL database, and there is no problem with the file getting too large. (My data goes back to the 1990s.)

At this time, there is no way to do a "year end copy" like Quicken Windows or Quicken 2007. the developers have said they don't plan to implement such a feature -- because the database doesn't require it like those older databases did. Users have made other arguments for "cleansing" their data, so it's possible the developers might create such a feature in the future, but probably won't be soon if they do put it on the roadmap.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • poleikleng
    poleikleng Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello.. My Quicken File goes back to January 1, 1992. The only issue I have had over the past nearly 30 years is the need to purchase a new PC to handle the size of the file. I have found it necessary to replace my computer about every three years. Now the big question. What do I plan to do with 30 years of data? Beats me. I can account for nearly every $$ that came through the door. Amazing how it comes and goes. I have used Home and Business for a number of years. I have been the treasurer of a variety of organizations, executor of 3 estates and more. Quicken has been invaluable. I firmly believe in keeping the program current. I agree with the subscription plan. An income stream is necessary to support the programing,
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @poleikleng  I'm glad to hear Quicken has, and continues, to serve you well; I generally feel the same. I'll just note that the original question above was asked by a Quicken Mac user, and my reply above was specific to Quicken Mac (which uses a more modern and stable database than Quicken Windows which you're using).
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dawn B,

I am a Quicken Windows user and have data back to 1993. I know you use the Mac version, but I wanted to give you some perspective on the value of historical data. When I started with MS Money back in 1993 (and converted to Quicken in 2009), I had no idea what would happen to me over the years financially. I started essentially with a checking account and a net worth less than zero. When I converted to Quicken, I took great pains to convert the historical data from MS Money. To be honest, at first going to Quicken was a bad experience. I was very afraid for my data and panicked every time I had an issue. I thought I had to archive my data as well. I am glad I didn't. Quicken has improved 10000% since I started using it and is so much better than MS Money ever was. After setting up 100's of bank, credit card, investment accounts, Quicken has become an invaluable tool, and a financial diary of sorts. Bottom line, keep as much historical data as you can and never "archive" or delete old data, if you can avoid it. (And make sure to do manual backups frequently.)
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Here's a lengthy discussion about Year End Copy for Mac:
    Please read it, vote for it and add your own comments. The more votes, the more comments, the more likely it is that the Quicken developers change their mind.
    But please remember ... after you split your data file into two pieces, Humpty (the archive file portion) and Dumpty (the currently active, reduced size file) cannot be put together again, unless the developers also create a tool to correctly re-combine the two files back into one.

This discussion has been closed.