What is going on with Express Web Connect

I initially had a problem with B of A, now with Citi. No new account data since March - no error messages. Just a random warning about duplicate transactions which don't seem to be an issue.
I'm having to enter information manually.
The one thing they have in common is EWC. No issues with my other banks providers.

Best Answer

• lliuphx
    lliuphx Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I was able to get it to work with Citi and quicken (for credit card account). First I deactivated online access for the account on Quicken though the Edit Account menu; then staying on the Edit Account menu I went to the general tab and changed the financial institution from "Citibank" to "Citi Cards". After this, I went to my online credit card account and though the user profile added access for Quicken. With the online timer counting down, I then went to the Quicken Edit Account menu and enabled online access for my Quicken account (no advanced option available for direct connect). Quicken found the account online and I linked it to my account. Then Quicken downloaded transactions from Citi. Note that Citi only gives you a 1 day history download. Then my Citi online account showed that Quicken was a managed desktop app. Also Quicken now displays the connection as DIRECT CONNECT.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method if available instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Citi Bank you should have received a notification quite some time ago that you need to set up "Third Party access", to allow Quicken to be registered as an authorized user.
    Logon to your account at the Citi website, navigate to Profile / More Settings / Manage Desktop Apps and follow instructions to add Quicken.

• nysalc
    nysalc Member ✭✭
    I tried it and I get to the point where I add access, then it instructs me to log on via Quicken. I did this (several times) and nothing happens. Quicken says it has updated and there are 0 new transactions. Citi says I still haven't allowed access.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is this for a checking/savings account or a credit card account?

I believe that the "Third Party access" is for Direct Connect.  And for that you should be setting up with "Citi Cards" not "Citibank" for the financial institution.  Also when setting up you should go into the Advanced Options to make sure Direct Connect is selected.  But note that the checking/savings accounts can only be setup as Express Web Connect which is very prone to problems.  Also not all credit cards can be setup with "Citi Cards"/Direct Connect, some store cards are only supported on Express Web Connect.  The only way to tell would be to try "Citi Cards"/Direct Connect.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • lliuphx
    lliuphx Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I was able to get it to work with Citi and quicken (for credit card account). First I deactivated online access for the account on Quicken though the Edit Account menu; then staying on the Edit Account menu I went to the general tab and changed the financial institution from "Citibank" to "Citi Cards". After this, I went to my online credit card account and though the user profile added access for Quicken. With the online timer counting down, I then went to the Quicken Edit Account menu and enabled online access for my Quicken account (no advanced option available for direct connect). Quicken found the account online and I linked it to my account. Then Quicken downloaded transactions from Citi. Note that Citi only gives you a 1 day history download. Then my Citi online account showed that Quicken was a managed desktop app. Also Quicken now displays the connection as DIRECT CONNECT.
  • nysalc
    nysalc Member ✭✭
    Thank you! That worked!
    I have another Citi credit card that seems to work with the Citibank (vs Citi Cards) sign on. I think it has something to do with costco Citi bank cards that are somehow segregated although in the Citi website they both show up.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    nysalc said:
    Thank you! That worked!
    I have another Citi credit card that seems to work with the Citibank (vs Citi Cards) sign on. I think it has something to do with costco Citi bank cards that are somehow segregated although in the Citi website they both show up.
    When the connection type is Direct Connect the data flow is:
    Quicken -> Financial institution's OFX server (might be the same machine as the web server, but is running different software.  And this software is standardized)

When the connection type is Express Web Connect the data flow is:
    Quicken syncing to QCS (Quicken Connection Services "the cloud account") -> Intuit server -> financial institution's website using an "agreed upon method" to transfer the data.

The "agreed upon method" isn't any kind of standard and varies depending on the financial institution.
    As you can see there is whole lot more that can go wrong with Express Web Connect.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/