What is highest iOS I can run old Quicken 16.2.4

Options
What is highest iOS I can run an old Quicken(16.2.4). I am on High Sierra

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just to clarify, iOS is Apple's operating system for mobile devices like iPhones and iPads. You're talking about a Mac, so you're asking about macOS

And you're talking about Quicken 2007. (The update you're referring to was what allowed it to run on modern Mac operating systems beyond Snow Leopard.) Quicken 2007 will run on macOS up to Mojave (10.14), on operating system beyond what you are currently running. It will not run on any macOS beyond that because Mojave is the last operating system which can run old 32-bit applications like Quicken 2007. If you upgrade to Mojave, Apple will update your hard drive to its newer APFS file format, and that will knock out Quicken 2007's ability to do automatic backups. (There are ways to work around that, if it's an issue for you.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @jcieply

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. Could you give us more information here. Are you trying to sync on the mobile app or are you looking to upgrade your operating system? Do you have an older version of Quicken you're wondering what is the last OS that supports it? 

Once you get a chance please let us know more and we'll let you know.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• jcieply
    jcieply Member
    Options
    I am running high sierra and have an old version of quicken (16.2.4) and I know eventually it will not run on some newer iOS. I wondered if anyone knows the most recent iOS it will run on. I have a copy of Quicken 2018 (5.6.3) also but prefer using the old version. My old Quicken started as Quicken 2007 but I think they upgraded it a few years ago for free. So yes I would like to know last iOS that supports it.

Any help would be appreciated
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Just to clarify, iOS is Apple's operating system for mobile devices like iPhones and iPads. You're talking about a Mac, so you're asking about macOS

And you're talking about Quicken 2007. (The update you're referring to was what allowed it to run on modern Mac operating systems beyond Snow Leopard.) Quicken 2007 will run on macOS up to Mojave (10.14), on operating system beyond what you are currently running. It will not run on any macOS beyond that because Mojave is the last operating system which can run old 32-bit applications like Quicken 2007. If you upgrade to Mojave, Apple will update your hard drive to its newer APFS file format, and that will knock out Quicken 2007's ability to do automatic backups. (There are ways to work around that, if it's an issue for you.)
  • jcieply
    jcieply Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your comments. I now understand the difference between iOS and macOS. Interestingly, my desktop mini running high sierra already gives me the warning that a back up cannot be done. However, my laptop with the same High Sierra does not give me that warning. I can live without the back ups.
  • jcieply
    jcieply Member
    Options
    Correction. Turns out the laptop is running Sierra and the desktop High Sierra. That is why laptop does auto backups and desktop does not. Auto backups end with High Sierra.
  • jacobs
    Options
    Actually, what disables the backup feature of Quicken 2007 is hard drives formatted with Apple’s modern APFS format. With High Sierra, typically only Macs with SSD hard drives were reformatted while older spinning hard drives were not, but with Mojave, all internal boot hard drives were reformatted.

When you say you can live without the backups, I agree — if you have other backup software in use, like an attached Time Machine drive or cloud-based backup like iDrive or BackBlaze. If you have no such backup service in use, then I’d urge you do do so as soon as possible. Quicken 2007 is prone to occasional corruption, and you’re really living dangerously if you don’t have some form of regular backups. And any other data on your Mac is also at risk, as Macs and hard drives do fail sometimes as they get older.
  • jcieply
    jcieply Member
    Options
    Thanks again. I do have a Time Capsule and iCloud backup.
This discussion has been closed.