Why are Some Bill Reminders Not Recognized in Budget Planning

Paul26
Paul26 Member ✭✭
I have about 4 or 5 bill reminders that stopped showing up in the Budget Planner. In the Budget Planner, “Include Reminders” is turned on. The Bill Reminders in question have amounts and a date that is in the current month. However, the amounts do not show up in the Actual column of the planning budget or in the budget reports. This issue seems to have started around the 1st of April 2021.

For one of the Bill Reminders with this issue, I deleted it and recreated it but still had the same issue.

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Paul26

Thank you for the response and the additional details.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to assist further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Paul26,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

If you haven't already, I suggest you try to Validate your data file by following the instructions below. However, I do recommend that you also save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Validate and Repair...
    4. Select Validate file
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 3) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Paul26
    Paul26 Member ✭✭
    I am using Quicken Version R32.12 Build 27.1.32.12. I tried all of your suggestions and these bill reminders still do not show up in the budget actuals column when "include reminders" is selected.
  • Paul26
    Paul26 Member ✭✭
    Anja,

Here is some more detail on the issue that might help. I don't think my issue is a corrupted file.

The Bill Reminder is a Twice-Yearly reminder that is set for $65.00 in February and $65.00 in August. The amount for August 2020 was not spent - So every month, I changed the date of the reminder to the current month. In February 2021, I change the date of the reminder to February and also changed the amount to $130.00 sense the February amount also had not been spent. In March, I changed to date to March. In April, I changed the date to April. I would expect the Budget Actuals column to reflect $130.00 when "include reminders" is selected. However, the amount in the Budget Actuals column is zero. This has always worked for me in the past but seems to no longer work in the manner. OF NOTE: The Budget Actuals column for August 2021 does show $65.00 when "include reminders" is selected.

Paul
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Paul26

Thank you for the response and the additional details.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to assist further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Paul26
    Paul26 Member ✭✭
    Just want to make sure nothing else can be done here before spending hours with Quicken Support. Attached is a screenshot of the reminders that are not reflected in my budget reports - even though the categories for them are selected.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Paul26

Thank you for the response and the additional details. To be clear on your process, are you backdating this reminder to enter a transaction for a different amount date?

If you are looking at the actuals in the report, and a reminder is overdue and not entered I would expect that amount not to display in the budget as it has not been paid/entered and is not yet an actual amount that has been spent.  In your image the bill reminder on 6/1/2020, you are expecting to see that amount in the budget report?

Please help to clarify so we can make sure we do all we can here in the Community.

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Paul26
    Paul26 Member ✭✭
    For the 1st two reminders, I edited all instances of them so that it would show the initial starting date of the reminder. My normal process for such reminders where money has not been spent is to "edit this instance" of the transaction, change it to the current date, and adjust the values if necessary. This way, they will show of in the budget report actuals column when show reminded when "Include Reminders" is checked. I then adjust the budget for each to reflect the budget report actuals - causing them to show up in my budget report.. This process is working for 10 or 15 other similar reminders, but not for the ones in the screenshot.
  • Quicken Anja
    @Paul26 Thank you for the additional information.

Next, I suggest you create a copy of your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. Then, try to Validate your data file again, but in the copied file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also save a backup of your data file again first before trying these steps (just in case).
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              If Quicken reports an error when creating the Copy file, then hold Ctrl + Shift while you click File > File Operations > Copy. When prompted to "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click Yes. Note: Only do this if you receive an error as this may cause some data loss.
    7. Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu
    8. Select File Operations
    9. Validate and Repair...
    10. Select Validate file
    11. Click OK
    12. Close the Data Log
    13. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    14. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate again in the copied file.

If this does not resolve the issue, you can either switch back to your original file or restore the backup you saved prior to performing the above troubleshooting instructions (both the original and backup files should remain unaffected by the steps performed in the copied file).

Follow the steps below to switch back to your original file
    :
    1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Paul26
    Paul26 Member ✭✭
    I followed your instructions and did both the validate and super validate. Neither of them resolved the issues. Even if I change the date of the reminders to today's date, the ACTUAL column of the Budget screen remains zero, even though "include Reminders" is turned on.
  • Quicken Anja
    @Paul26 Thank you for trying those steps and following up.

Next, I suggest you create a copy of your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. Then, try to Validate your data file again in the copied file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also save a backup of your data file again first before trying these steps as well (just in case).
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              If Quicken reports an error when creating the Copy file, then hold Ctrl + Shift while you click File > File Operations > Copy. When prompted to "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click Yes. Note: Only do this if you receive an error as this may cause some data loss.
    7. Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu
    8. Select File Operations
    9. Validate and Repair...
    10. Select Validate file
    11. Click OK
    12. Close the Data Log
    13. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    14. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate again in the copied file.

If this still does not resolve the issue, you can either switch back to your original file or restore the backup you saved prior to performing the above troubleshooting instructions (both the original and backup files should remain unaffected by the steps performed in the copied file).

Follow the steps below to switch back to your original file
    :
    1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Paul26
    Paul26 Member ✭✭
    Did I miss something, or is this the same instruction that you gave previously?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Paul26

Thank you for the response. I apologize for the confusion, I believe the instructions are meant to provide the steps to validate.

The next steps are to ensure that you have tried to copy the file first and then perform the validation on the copied file. Were you able to perform the validation steps on a copy of the Quicken file?

Please let us know so we can determine the next best step to get this resolved.
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Paul26
    Paul26 Member ✭✭
    Per my comment on May 4th, I followed all of the steps as specified, including the Super Validate. The procedure that not resolve the issue.
This discussion has been closed.