Cannot edit single instance of scheduled paycheck deposit

This appears to be an incredibly frustrating bug...

I have set up a recurring paycheck deposit to my checking account for a specific amount total, and all of the deductions. Quicken shows the next 2 or 3 scheduled deposits in gray, since they haven't been matched to a register download sync.

I know that when today's paycheck is deposited, it will be off by one cent because of a variation in a deduction, and I want to pre-edit this instance so it matches the download and doesn't duplicate the deposit. The menu says I can "Edit Instance", but I actually can't – it only allows me to *see* the deduction split in gray with no ability to adjust anything, or "Edit *All* Instances", which I don't need to do just to adjust this one deposit.

How can I actually edit *this* single paycheck deposit before Quicken matches the download?

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Unfortunately, the Edit Instance feature only lets you change the date and amount (but not sub amounts of a split). If you change the amount of a scheduled transaction with a split, you will end up with an unallocated split line when the transaction is fully recorded.

The developers do not consider this a bug because this is how it's designed to work. There is an Idea topic in the Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac category that addresses the need to be able to fully edit an instance of a future transaction. You may want to search for, find and vote for that topic.

That said, the workaround is to simply mark the transaction as paid/deposited. Then you can fully edit the instance. Yes, I understand you are marking a transaction as deposited that really hasn't yet been deposited. However, you know by the fact that the transaction isn't marked cleared that it hasn't really be deposited and recorded by the bank. There is little chance for confusion and at that point it's really just a matter of semantics.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    RickO said:
    That said, the workaround is to simply mark the transaction as paid/deposited. Then you can fully edit the instance. Yes, I understand you are marking a transaction as deposited that really hasn't yet been deposited. However, you know by the fact that the transaction isn't marked cleared that it hasn't really be deposited and recorded by the bank. There is little chance for confusion and at that point it's really just a matter of semantics.
    And if it helps you keep track, you can mark it deposited and then advance the date to tomorrow, so it's above the "today" line in your register. When the bank download occurs, if you have Preferences > Connected Services set "Use posted date for matched transactions", the date will pop back to the date it hit the bank. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Unfortunately, the Edit Instance feature only lets you change the date and amount (but not sub amounts of a split). If you change the amount of a scheduled transaction with a split, you will end up with an unallocated split line when the transaction is fully recorded.

The developers do not consider this a bug because this is how it's designed to work. There is an Idea topic in the Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac category that addresses the need to be able to fully edit an instance of a future transaction. You may want to search for, find and vote for that topic.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    RickO said:
    And if it helps you keep track, you can mark it deposited and then advance the date to tomorrow, so it's above the "today" line in your register. When the bank download occurs, if you have Preferences > Connected Services set "Use posted date for matched transactions", the date will pop back to the date it hit the bank. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dustin91
    dustin91 Member ✭✭
    @RickO and @jacobs, you two rock! Thanks so much for very valuable advice. I "cleared" the transaction, made the correction, and then unchecked it, and now it should match up exactly when the deposit hits my account.

Or not, as I've seen Quicken for Mac miss *plenty* of easy matches!
This discussion has been closed.