Installing on a Second Device [edited]

ShellyMMM
ShellyMMM Member ✭✭
I am a long time Quicken user, using Quicken Deluxe, multi-year plan, purchased online 4/15/20. I need to know if the version I purchased can be installed on another device (laptop) as well as my PC. I'm not sure exactly what version I have but the top of my accounts page says "Quicken Deluxe QDATANEW -- [Home}. I would like to see an "About" menu option that tells me the exact name of the program!!

How can I find out this information?

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    First off the "sync to Quicken Cloud" isn't a backup, it only a partial copy for use with Mobile/Web.

Next on how your data file gets copied to the other machine.
    It isn't recommended to have the data file in the OneDrive folder.
    The reason for this is because of a possible conflict with locking the data file.

When Quicken opens to the data file it locks it and for the most part keeps it locked while you are using it.
    Even though other SuperUsers will warn that even at this point it might step in and cause problems, I have found that OneDrive properly respects that lock and leaves the file alone.

But the problem comes in that at times Quicken closes the data file to do certain operations like backups, validate and repair, moving investment transactions, ...

When that happens the lock is released, and that gives OneDrive the opportunity to jump in and start to sync it to the server.  To do that it locks the data file, block Quicken from accessing it.  And Quicken doesn't expect this or deal with it very well.

So the recommendation is to open the data file outside of the OneDrive folder and do copies in and out of it.
    A simple script that copies the file to where Quicken expects it an then when it closes copies it out would work.

Note that most likely you are using OneDrive for backing up your Documents folder.  If so that means that the default location of Documents\Quicken is in the OneDrive folder it should be moved out to a different folder like: C:\Quicken
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You can install/use Quicken on as many computers as you like.
    Note that if you want to "share the data file" you should copy between the machines each time you go to uses it on the other machine.

For the "About" select: Help -> About Quicken
    Signature:
  • ShellyMMM
    ShellyMMM Member ✭✭
    My understanding is that all data I have is backing up to OneDrive w/o even using the "Sync to Quicken Cloud" option. My IT guy says he can make all the Quicken data sync between desk top and laptop, so when I make a change to one it will be made to the other.

Eventually want to go to Quick Books, but need to get Quicken on my laptop so I can meet with CPA in person to transfer the files. Prefer not to do it via Zoom.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    First off the "sync to Quicken Cloud" isn't a backup, it only a partial copy for use with Mobile/Web.

Next on how your data file gets copied to the other machine.
    It isn't recommended to have the data file in the OneDrive folder.
    The reason for this is because of a possible conflict with locking the data file.

When Quicken opens to the data file it locks it and for the most part keeps it locked while you are using it.
    Even though other SuperUsers will warn that even at this point it might step in and cause problems, I have found that OneDrive properly respects that lock and leaves the file alone.

But the problem comes in that at times Quicken closes the data file to do certain operations like backups, validate and repair, moving investment transactions, ...

When that happens the lock is released, and that gives OneDrive the opportunity to jump in and start to sync it to the server.  To do that it locks the data file, block Quicken from accessing it.  And Quicken doesn't expect this or deal with it very well.

So the recommendation is to open the data file outside of the OneDrive folder and do copies in and out of it.
    A simple script that copies the file to where Quicken expects it an then when it closes copies it out would work.

Note that most likely you are using OneDrive for backing up your Documents folder.  If so that means that the default location of Documents\Quicken is in the OneDrive folder it should be moved out to a different folder like: C:\Quicken
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.