Over-budget categories question

Options
Hello All, I've noticed that Quicken will show a period expense as over budget when there is enough carry-over from prior period to which should show it as under (i.e. it only takes the current budget number into consideration, not the carry-over from prior periods). Is there a way to include the carry-over other than manually changing budget numbers from prior period to put into the current period? Thanks!

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hmm.  I now see what you mean, and I think showing of warning icon is wrong.
    Like you said it is only taking into account the budget numbers, not the rollover.  That is a bug.  If I have a rollover setup for fuel for instance I know that that category is "variable" and some months it will be more and sometimes less, as long as it averages out at or below what I have setup with the amounts/rollovers, it is "in budget" and is fine.  There shouldn't be any warnings for it.

Unfortunately there isn't any "setting" that can fix this problem.
    I would report this problem with: Help -> Report a Problem
    And give this URL for this thread:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7892394/over-budget-categories-question

I'm also wondering about your graph.  Did you edit it (which is fine if you are just trying hide personal details)?
    In your example it seems to start with April, but I can't reproduce that unless I use a fiscal year starting in April, and then the dates in the upper left would be from January to December.

But on on top of that I don't see the "status bar (green or red) per month or the "category group" like Personal Expenses.

I created a simple one category budget to test this and it looks like this:

The monthly status bars emphasize the fact that the warning is wrong.  All the months are "green"/good.

Here is what it looks like when one month is over budget.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where exactly are you seeing this?
    A screenshot might help.
    Signature:
  • Chris Ingoldsby
    Chris Ingoldsby Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Great idea... see attached screenshots. The first shot shows the actual over the monthly budget amount but the carry-over from prior months still has a positive balance of $42, so shouldn't be above budget (like the circled triangle shows). Then in the next screenshot, when you move the monthly budget above actual, then the warning triangle goes away.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hmm.  I now see what you mean, and I think showing of warning icon is wrong.
    Like you said it is only taking into account the budget numbers, not the rollover.  That is a bug.  If I have a rollover setup for fuel for instance I know that that category is "variable" and some months it will be more and sometimes less, as long as it averages out at or below what I have setup with the amounts/rollovers, it is "in budget" and is fine.  There shouldn't be any warnings for it.

Unfortunately there isn't any "setting" that can fix this problem.
    I would report this problem with: Help -> Report a Problem
    And give this URL for this thread:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7892394/over-budget-categories-question

I'm also wondering about your graph.  Did you edit it (which is fine if you are just trying hide personal details)?
    In your example it seems to start with April, but I can't reproduce that unless I use a fiscal year starting in April, and then the dates in the upper left would be from January to December.

But on on top of that I don't see the "status bar (green or red) per month or the "category group" like Personal Expenses.

I created a simple one category budget to test this and it looks like this:

The monthly status bars emphasize the fact that the warning is wrong.  All the months are "green"/good.

Here is what it looks like when one month is over budget.

Signature:
  • Chris Ingoldsby
    Options
    > @Chris_QPW said:

> I'm also wondering about your graph.  Did you edit it (which is fine if you are just trying hide personal details)?
    > In your example it seems to start with April, but I can't reproduce that unless I use a fiscal year starting in April, and then the dates in the upper left would be from January to December.
    >
    > But on on top of that I don't see the "status bar (green or red) per month or the "category group" like Personal Expenses.
    >
    > I created a simple one category budget to test this and it looks like this:
    >
    >
    >
    > The monthly status bars emphasize the fact that the warning is wrong.  All the months are "green"/good.
    >
    > Here is what it looks like when one month is over budget.

Hi Chris, yes, the graphs all showed green which made it hard to deduce which category was the one that was the issues.

I'll go ahead and submit it as a bug. Thanks for your help.
  • Chris Ingoldsby
    Options
    I've reported as a problem. Thanks again Chris for your insight
This discussion has been closed.