Print out of Category Reports (Q Mac)

QuiltGramma
QuiltGramma Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Mac)
This tax year my reports are difficult to read. Font is very tiny, no color like previous years. Font size varies from report to other category reports. No continuity. What happened???

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Have you been using Quicken Mac (as opposed to Quicken Windows or the old Quicken 2007) in recent years?

What report(s) are you having trouble with? On most reports, you can adjust the width of each column, which columns appear on the report, the layout (vertical or horizontal), and you can adjust whether the report is reduced to fit one page wide or spans two (or more) pages wide -- all things which will change the apparent font size of the report.

Quicken Mac began replacing the old reports (carry-overs front he 2010-era Quicken Essentials, which were not very user-adjustable) back about 4 years ago. The basic reports haven't changed since last year, although the organization and some selection details have been improved. None of the "modern" report have color, nor have they in recent years.

If you'd like help tweaking the reports, please post back with more information about what report(s) you're using and what specific problems you're encountering.  
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • QuiltGramma
    QuiltGramma Member ✭✭
    I think I have done the steps you review. I have the info all on one page, but the font is tiny. Compared to the same information reports from 2019 totals for tax categories, these reports look terrible. Actually, on some reports when I create them using the same steps (new category, of course) the print out is tinier then a previous report for no reason I can figure out.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't know of a reason for the same report, with the same columns, same column width, and same orientation to look different between last year and this year.

Again, without seeing the report, or knowing more information about what report you're using and how you have the columns configured, it's pretty hard to offer any help. If you're able to capture and share a screen shot of a part of the report (opened in Mac Preview) like column headings and maybe a line or two of data, if it's not sensitive, it might help give us insight. Just talking generically, I'd evaluate if you need all the columns present, and if some of them could be narrower than they currently are. For instance,e in many cases an Account column can be fairly narrow because the fist few characters is enough to distinguish between your categories; if you show the Notes field, perhaps it can also be narrower (explanations/detials may not be important for annual tax reports). A basic Transactions by Category report by default shows Category, Date, Account, Payee and Amount -- and all those fit quite reasonably on a printed page even in portrait (vertical) orientation, and even larger if printed in landscape (horizontal) orientation. The Payee names squeeze the text to show more characters into the available space, but this doesn't bother me as long as it's legible. (But I acknowledge readability is in the eye of the beholder, so what's good enough for me might be annoying to you.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.