Buy / Sell Preview window does not open

Options
Have a bunch of lots added for a stock (one purchase with lots of reinvested dividends).
If I click on Investing --> Investing Tools --> Buy / Sell Preview the window does not appear. All other tools under Investing Tools open properly.

If I open my dad's Quicken file (which has different and more stocks) the window does appear.

If I export my stock out as a QIF file and import it into a copy of my dad's Quicken file the Buy / Sell Preview window does appear and I am able to do a preview sale of my stock.

My dad's Quicken file was set up years ago. My Quicken file was created as a new file recently and I then added my transactions. Not sure If any of that matters.

Any ideas as to why the Buy / Sell Preview window does not appear for my Quicken file?
There is no warning dialog, just nothing happens.

thanks!!

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @gwa000

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

I would recommend running the Validate & Repair tool on the data file from the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate File window that opens, click the top box to "validate file" and then click OK.

When the validation completes, a data log will open in Notepad, please let us know if any errors or issues are found/repaired, and when ready close and re-open Quicken.

Please let us know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • gwa000
    gwa000 Member
    Options
    here's what the Validate reported:

[Mon Apr 19 19:44:14 2021]

File: "E:\Test - xxx #01 (Before separating out fees)"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Mon Apr 19 19:44:16 2021]
    Analyzing securities.

Number of old style Buy/Cash investment transactions updated: 1/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.

============================================================

from the "bad" file (the one that does not display the Buy / Sell Preview i exported the account as a QIF file. i then created a new Quicken file with nothing in it. Imported the QIF file into it and magically the Buy /Sell Preview now works.

after looking at the size of the "bad" file compared to the new file i may have misspoke. after comparing the file sizes i think i must have copied my dad's file (for which the Preview works) and deleted all of his accounts and then imported my account. so in retrospect i think was not working with a brand new file when i originally posted the issue. not sure if this matters.