QMAC - How do I optimize my data file?

Options
MSO
MSO Member ✭✭
Most database files need periodic maintenance to optimize indeces and defrag the file.

How do I optimize my data file on the MAC?

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @MSO

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. There isn't any sort of main ways to maintain your file other than making sure you're keeping up to date with any errors and actively keeping your accounts sorted as well. I can leave a list of FAQ's down below that do go over a couple of different things that may help if you do run into any issues.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7426176/quicken-mac-faq-list-of-mac-faqs#latest

If you are having any issues in particular let us know and we can take a deeper look.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @MSO

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. There isn't any sort of main ways to maintain your file other than making sure you're keeping up to date with any errors and actively keeping your accounts sorted as well. I can leave a list of FAQ's down below that do go over a couple of different things that may help if you do run into any issues.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7426176/quicken-mac-faq-list-of-mac-faqs#latest

If you are having any issues in particular let us know and we can take a deeper look.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    MSO said:
    Most database files need periodic maintenance to optimize indeces and defrag the file.
    I wouldn't agree this. Yes, in older databases this was the case, and is what was an expected operation.

Modern databases are more fault tolerant and self healing; what you request is automatically being done behind the scenes. 

As far as defragging/compacting-that again is from a different era where saving disk space was crucial. Some DBs work best with a little "elbow room".

Don't worry about the file-it will do just fine. Backups these days are more for human screw ups than data corruption. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.