Performance poor since 6.1.1 update (Q Mac)

Everett
Everett Member ✭✭
Since the Quicken for Mac 6.1.1 update, operations in the application have been VERY slow, almost to the point of being unusable. Switching registers, adding/editing/deleting a transaction, all result in the Mac spinning ball of death.

Otherwise my MacOS system runs fine. All other applications such as QuickBooks, Microsoft Office programs, etc perform normally. I hope this isn't the new normal for Quicken.

Is there any file maintenance that needs to be done in Quicken? Is it possible to remove the most recent update?

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I haven't seen other reports of this for this update, nor experienced myself. Have you restarted the Mac? Sometimes that's all it takes.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Everett
    Everett Member ✭✭
    Yes the system was restarted with no effect on the slowness of Quicken.

Is there any file maintenance that needs to be done in Quicken? Is it possible to remove the most recent update?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    There is no file maintenance with the current QMac.

The previous version of the app will be found in the macOS Finder Trash. You can use that to replace the updated version.

However, some version updates also make changes to the database which render it inoperable with the previous version of Quicken. So you may not be able to open your current file with the previous version. But I wouldn't want you to do that anyway. Instead, I'd suggest you do the following:

1. Make a backup of your current data file and stash it somewhere safe.
    2. Restore the previous version of Quicken from the Trash to the Applications folder. Don't worry about trashing the current version; you can always re-download that from quicken.com.
    3. Find the pre-update backup of your data that Quicken makes when you update. It's name will start with "BACKUP (Pre-Update)" and is normal found at /Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Backups/Automatic Backups.
    4. Open this backup with the older version of Quicken. 
    5. Test and see if the slowness exists.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    There is no file maintenance for the database in Quicken Mac.

I agree with RickO that what you're describing seems very strange, since there have not been any other complaints on this site about slowness with 6.1.1.

One quick question: is your Quicken data file living on your local hard drive (e.g. not on Dropbox or iCloud; if on your desktop or Documents folder, is iCloud Drive set not to store those folders in iCloud). I know you said this problem just started with the most recent update, but all sorts of strange things have been known to happen when people have their data file on a cloud storage service. 

I have a few suggestions you could try:

(1) Download a fresh install of Quicken 6.1.1 by logging into your account on Quicken.com. Delete the current app; install the new one. It's rare that this would solve a problem, but we're hunting for a rare problem here. ;)

(2) Temporarily create a new user account on your Mac (System Preferences > Users & Groups). Copy your data file to live on the desktop of that user login. Try running Quicken. Same problem or no problem here? (If the problem goes away, it means your Quicken application and your Quicken data file are fine, and the problem is something with your regular user account. We can dig into where Quicken's preferences files live to try to replace them if this is the case.)

(3) Try a backup file from before the recent 6.1.1 update. Do you have Time Machine or some other backup from December or early January that you could try opening to see if the problem is still there or not?

You asked whether it's possible to remove the latest version. The answer is yes/maybe. ;)  Would you want to go back to 6.1.0 (not particularly recommended, since some bugs in that release have been fixed in 6.1.1) or 6.0.3? Each time you install a Quicken update, the installer moves your prior version to your Trash. If you don't always empty your Trash, it's still living there, or might be in a Time Machine backup of your Trash from a few weeks ago. The 6.0.3 release will be a file named "Quicken (600.37136.100)"; the 6.1.0 release will be similar, starting with a 601 number. If you find one, rename the current Quicken.app in your Applications folder something like "Quicken 6.1.1.app" and then restore the older version from the Trash an edit it's name back to "Quicken.app".

If you go back to 6.0.3, you will likely also need to restore a backup file from 6.0.3, because the file was updated moving too 6.1.0. Fortunately, Quicken automatically creates a backup of your data file as part of each new version installation. So navigate to the folder where your Quicken backs live, and look in Automatic Backups for a file called "BACKUP (Pre-Update) - [your file name] [date]".

That all said, because other users aren't reporting problems with 6.1.1, I would not advise pursuing the idea of moving back to an older version, and instead pursue trying to isolate and fix the problem with 6.1.1. on your Mac. It seems likely that replacing the application, isolating and removing some corrupted preference file , or going back to a backup data file from just before the slowness started will be likely to cure your problem.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Everett
    Everett Member ✭✭
    The Quicken data file resides on the local SSD. MacOS does not sync data to iCloud (due to the performance issues that result when doing so). The system has a traditional remote backup which is scheduled, not real-time.
  • Gulf
    Gulf Member
    We're having the same issue. We've been using Quicken for years, but since it updated to 6.1.1 a few days ago, we get the Mac ball of death of 5 seconds every time we attempt to enter a transaction.
  • jacobs
    @Gulf  Please see the tests I suggested for @Everett and post back what you find. In particular, creating a temporary new Mac user account and trying to run copy of your data file there would isolate if there's something in your regular User settings that's causing a problem. 
  • Everett
    Everett Member ✭✭
    @Gulf , Thank you for offering your experience.

Okay, so we can no longer say that my experience with the 6.1.1 update is very strange or that there have been no other reports of the same from others.
  • jacobs
    @Everett  Well, I'd still say it's strange. ;)  I agree it's good to get a similar report from another user, but among the hundreds of thousands of Quicken Mac users, with only two reports on this forum of such a problem, we can say that it doesn't appear to be a widespread problem. If Quicken Support is getting a lot of calls about this, perhaps something has made it to the developers -- but it's more likely that this is not a problem that the developers are aware of and working on.

Have you tried any of the steps I posted above in order to isolate the problem? Depending what those tests reveal, there might be an easy path to resolution. Or it might remain an ongoing mystery. We just need more information if you want help with the issue.

• vireo
    vireo Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem. My Mac is up to date, has 32GB of memory and my Quicken file is stored on a 1TB SSD. I have tried all three of the suggestions above and none worked. Further, when I went to delete my version of 6.1.1 before reinstalling I noted that the mod date on that file was Feb 27 and I did not begin to experience problems until March 23. I also tried earlier backups before this started happening and that did not work either. All this stuff about going back to older versions is really not feasible.
  • janeteric
    janeteric Member
    In addition to the problems mentioned above, Quicken 6.1.1 brute-force overwrites categories I have been using and prefer, replacing mine with categories "it" (some software designer) thinks "better." In addition, in splits, 6.1.1. not only brings forward both categories and amounts from previous transactions with the same vendor but then creates a new split line with an "unaccounted for" amount because the total from the previous transaction was different from the correct total I just download. Support had me disconnect and reconnect the accounts in which this happens, which accomplished exactly nothing. Maybe it's time to go back to simple spreadsheet.
  • jacobs
    @janeteric   Hmm, I've never seen myself, not heard other users report, that an upgrade replaced their categories. If you're migrating from Quicken 2007 or Quicken Windows, then Quicken Mac starts with its own default categories and adds all your existing ones. but I've never heard of it deleting users' own categories before.

For the splits you described, are you saying that an existing split transaction changed the amount and resulted in an uncategorized remainder amount? I've definitely never heard of that, either.

On the other hand, if you enter a new transaction for an existing Payee which has a QuickFill rule containing a split, and if the transaction amount is different than the original transaction amount, then it would make sense that there would be an un-categorized split line for the difference between the new amount and the previously-saved split amounts. Is that what you're seeing, or is it something else? 
  • Bruce S
    Bruce S Member
    > @Everett said:
    > @Gulf , Thank you for offering your experience.
    >
    > Okay, so we can no longer say that my experience with the 6.1.1 update is very strange or that there have been no other reports of the same from others.

I have a Quicken subscription Version 6.1.1 (Build 601.37924.100). I've had the same issue with slow response since upgrading. Takes forever to load and download bank transactions. Very bad. I'm considering buying a Windows machine and trying that version of Quicken.
  • jacobs
    @Everett  @Gulf  @vireo  @janeteric  @BruceS  @BobTheBilder     For anyone who has posted in this thread about slow performance, could you post again and indicate:
    • what version of macOS are you running
    • what Mac are you running (i.e. iMac 2019, M1 MacBook Pro 2020, etc.) 
    • confirm if you are running Quicken 6.1.1
    • as best you pinpoint, did the problem start with version 6.1.1? 6.1.0? earlier?
    There are clearly enough people who are having a problem to indicate it isn't a lone isolated database problem, yet there are clearly not a huge number of people experiencing this because reports like this are only trickling in here very slowly. Perhaps if we can identify some commonality, it might help get the developers' attention to look at something specific.
  • Everett
    Everett Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I have discovered that, regardless of how many other applications are open or not, if I take care to only have a single window open in the Quicken for Mac v6.1.1 application, it runs at about normal speed in my case.

Even if Quicken is the only application open on my Mac, if there is a second Quicken window open, such as a transaction report that I am referencing while viewing an account for example, the program slows to a crawl as previously described.

The behavior is the same even if there are multiple other resource hungry applications open. Typically I have Quicken, QuickBooks, Microsoft Outlook, Adobe Pro, and multiple Chrome profiles all open simultaneously. Even with all those programs open, Quicken will run about normal speed if only a single window is open in it. But open another and it's unusable.
  • Ellie P
    Ellie P Member
    I recently upgraded to Mojave and Quicken 6.1.1 runs extremely slow. Over two seconds to respond to mouse click in reconciled check box. Please help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ellie P said:
    I recently upgraded to Mojave and Quicken 6.1.1 runs extremely slow. Over two seconds to respond to mouse click in reconciled check box. Please help.

Have you read @Everett 's comment (posted just above yours)?
    Can you confirm if his statement ("Even with all those programs open, Quicken will run about normal speed if only a single window is open in it. But open another and it's unusable.") applies to your computer, too?

• vireo
    vireo Member ✭✭
    @jacobs @Everett @Gulf @vireo @janeteric @BruceS @BobTheBilder

I think I have a clue to the problem of it taking anywhere from 5 - 10 secs to update the registry every time I make a change. For me this problem showed itself while I was running a bunch of reports for my taxes. I never closed the reports and every time I made a change in registry they all were being updated, slowing Quicken to a crawl. I'm a forever user of Quicken for Windows who only recently moved to the Mac version. I am used to seeing active reports in the lower left corner of the registry. But Quicken for Mac puts open reports down in the right hand corner of the dock where it is easy not to see them. Once I closed all those open reports I had the quick updating I expected. Duh! I hope this works for others.
  • jacobs
    @vireo  One or many open reports is a problem with Quicken Mac. Reports open in a new window, but often when you click back on the main window -- to see a register, for instance -- the report window gets hidden behind the large main window. It's easy to forget the report window is there. Worse, there is no place in the Quicken Mac interface that you see there are open reports unless you pull down the Window menu and look for them at the bottom. Worse still, when you quit Quicken and relaunch, those same reports re-open, completely hidden by the main window. (It's good that they re-open; it's not good that you don't realize they're open.) There needs to be some visual warning to users of open windows during a session, and even more urgently when re-launching Quicken.
  • Everett
    Everett Member ✭✭
    Mac users will be accustomed to this behaviour. It's not Windows.
  • jacobs
    @Everett  The problem isn't just for recent Windows converts. I'm a lifelong Mac user, and I'm saying that having hidden Quicken windows I've opened is a problem for me; I think Quicken Mac needs something in the user interface to show windows which are open, particularly when relaunching the program.
  • Everett
    Everett Member ✭✭
    As you pointed out, Quicken Mac does have something to show which windows are open. it's one click of the Windows menu to see what's open. Every Mac application is the same in that respect.
  • jacobs
    @Everett I guess I'm not being clear. Yes, if you think to pull down the Window menu to look for open reports or registers or other windows, you can see what's open but potentially out of sight. And you can close them. (Albeit one at a time, which can be annoying if you find you opened 5 windows while searching for/testing something. So as an aside, that's another wish: a "Close All Windows" button/link.)  But it may not be apparent to check the Window menu periodically. that goes back to the original topic of this thread, and specifically to vireo's post above, that people may be having performance significantly affected due to open windows they may not realize are open.

Here's a simple real life example. Yesterday, I was doing something which ended up having several report windows open. I got called away from the computer; when I came back late in the day, those windows were hidden behind the main Quicken window, and I just quit Quicken. Today, I launched Quicken and was going about my business. This discussion prompted me to pull down the Window menu, and I was surprised to see I had several open report windows from yesterday's session. They were out of sight and completely out of mind.

All I'm saying is that Quicken needs some way of making open windows more apparent to users, because they can create a huge drag on performance, with the cause not being apparent to users. When quitting Quicken, for instance, it could pop up a dialog box to ask "Close all Quicken windows (reports, registers) when quitting? Yes No". Or when launching Quicken, it could pop up a box to say "5 windows in addition to the main Quicken window were re-opened from the last time you opened this file". Or perhaps some element could be added to the main window interface -- top? bottom? -- to show open windows, or to show the number of open windows.  
  • mpga
    mpga Member
    edited April 2021
    I have the same problem. [removed - violation of community guidelines]
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mpga said:
    I have the same problem.
    OK.
    And does closing all the open Quicken windows improve your performance?

• jacobs
    @mpga  Although moderator removed part of your post, I received it in an email notification. I wanted to note three things which might help clarify some things:

(1) This site isn't Quicken Support. You always have the option of reaching out to Quicken Support directly, by phone or chat. It's a free service for anyone with a current subscription. Results may vary, but if you're wanting Quicken Support to step in and do something, posting about it here isn't the correct path to getting action.

(2) The people here who are asking questions and offering suggestions are fellow users who volunteer their time to try to help fellow Quicken users with problems and questions. We're trying to help, but if users don't answer the questions which are asked, we don't get very far.

(3) You also said that suggesting differently things to try is ridiculous, and that Quicken should just fix it. The problem is that Quicken may not know what's going wrong in order to track and fix it. That's why we try to work with people who are having a problem until we can either resolve it or isolate a case which can be reported to Quicken and hopefully fixed. It's always frustrating when you're having a problem, but the thing to understand is that you may be the only one, or one of a small group of users, experiencing a particular problem. Until something tangible can be escalated to the Quicken engineers, you have to assume they either don't know about it or only know about it in general terms -- e.g. some users are experiencing slowness for unknown reasons -- which doesn't provide enough information for them to track down the problem.
This discussion has been closed.