Ever since USAA changed the download system the payee and memo fields are the same

Ever since this latest change with USAA bank (had to sign up for the new process, quicken had details on doing it), my credit card downloads now all have the payee and memo fields filled in with the same information, it's actually a nuisance as memo line being filled in. Example "HOMEDEPOT.COM 800-430-3376 GA" doesn't help me and just gets in the way where I need to find which ones I want to add memo details to. It's already in the payee field although cutoff "Homedepot.Com 800-430" Is there a way to fix this or is quicken working on it?

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Shouldn't the following help overcome this issue?
    • First please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings for the detection and processing of transfer transactions can be found in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.

• Set up an entry in the Memorized Payee List for Payee = Home Depot. Categorize as needed.

• Amount 0.00

• Memo "." (put a period in the Memo field).
      "Lock" the entry to prevent it from being changed by subsequent transactions with different data
    • Set up a Renaming Rule.
      Payee = Home Depot
      Rule: If payee contains Home Depot
    Now, when a Home Depot charge transaction is downloaded, the Renaming Rule should kick in, change the Payee Name to Home Depot without anything else, pick up the entry from the MPL and create a register transaction. Because you filled in the Memo with a "." or some other text, the downloaded Memo text should not replace the Memo field in the register.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What is put into the memo field is completely up to USAA.  You will have to talk to them to get them to change it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dfatq
    dfatq Member ✭✭
    it sure looks like a classic parsing problem, but maybe it's on the usaa end (maybe not).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    dfatq said:
    it sure looks like a classic parsing problem, but maybe it's on the usaa end (maybe not).
    This connection is Direct Connect.  That means that it is directly from Quicken to the USAA OFX server.  Quicken Inc or Intuit aren't in between.

You can confirm that this information is in there from USAA by looking in the OFX log.  You can see the **** SEND, which comes from Quicken, and the **** RECV that comes from USAA and see that the memo information is in the <MEMO> field.

EDIT to view the OFX log:
    Help -> Log Files -> OFX Log
    Signature:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Shouldn't the following help overcome this issue?
    • First please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings for the detection and processing of transfer transactions can be found in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.

• Set up an entry in the Memorized Payee List for Payee = Home Depot. Categorize as needed.

• Amount 0.00

• Memo "." (put a period in the Memo field).
      "Lock" the entry to prevent it from being changed by subsequent transactions with different data
    • Set up a Renaming Rule.
      Payee = Home Depot
      Rule: If payee contains Home Depot
    Now, when a Home Depot charge transaction is downloaded, the Renaming Rule should kick in, change the Payee Name to Home Depot without anything else, pick up the entry from the MPL and create a register transaction. Because you filled in the Memo with a "." or some other text, the downloaded Memo text should not replace the Memo field in the register.

• Francine
    Francine Member ✭✭
    Chris.
    I have the same issue. Quicken says its USAA's fault and USAA says its Quiken's fault.
    Here is a sample of the OFX Log. I don't understand your directions "You can see the **** SEND, which comes from Quicken, and the **** RECV that comes from USAA and see that the memo information is in the <MEMO> field." I cannot tell from the below info which is coming from USAA.....

OFX LOG
    <OFX><SIGNONMSGSRSV1><SONRS><STATUS><CODE>0<SEVERITY>INFO<MESSAGE>SUCCESS</STATUS><DTSERVER>20210419145912.872[-4:EDT]<LANGUAGE>ENG<FI><ORG>USAA Federal Savings Bank<FID>67811</FI></SONRS></SIGNONMSGSRSV1><CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1><CCSTMTTRNRS><TRNUID>FB55E1F1-7DCC-1000-80D1-E70724040026<STATUS><CODE>0<SEVERITY>INFO<MESSAGE>SUCCESS</STATUS><CCSTMTRS><CURDEF>USD<CCACCTFROM><ACCTID>XXXX824125586915</CCACCTFROM><BANKTRANLIST><DTSTART>20210329110000.000[-4:EDT]<DTEND>20210415110000.000[-4:EDT]<STMTTRN><TRNTYPE>OTHER<DTPOSTED>20210415110000.000[-4:EDT]<TRNAMT>-8.0<FITID>980D2DE911DB7CE6D7F861F2F2EB9250<NAME>UTMDACC MAYS GARAGE HOUSTON<MEMO>UTMDACC MAYS GARAGE HOUSTON TX<
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The "RECV" part of the log comes directly from the financial institution (USAA in this case)

<NAME>UTMDACC MAYS GARAGE HOUSTON
    <MEMO>UTMDACC MAYS GARAGE HOUSTON TX

And as you can see they have the same information in them (with the exception of TX).
    Signature:
  • Francine
    Francine Member ✭✭
    So Chris, does this mean the issue is with USAA? Sorry, I’m feeling like my brain is mush lately. I have called USAA and they say they I have to call quicken for help. Any idea how to get someone at USAA to help? Also strange that I’ve dealt woth four different folks from quicken support and spent hours on the phone and not one of them (including a supervisor) looked at the OFX log. Pretty bad customer support on their part.

And yes, the original question explained that the Payee is truncated and hence missing the last bit of detail compared to the memo. This seems backwards too.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is a USAA problem.  Only they can change what they send to Quicken.
    Signature:
  • Francine
    Francine Member ✭✭
    I am looking at the loglog file in the help tab on quicken and it still has the OFXLOG from April 19th. I have downloaded yesterday and today. Why does it still have an old log. I have selected current log. Why am i not seeing the OFXLOG from today (4/21/21)
  • Francine
    Francine Member ✭✭
    oooops. it appears to just add on to the logfile so I had to scroll way down to the bottom. How long will it keep adding to this file?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Francine said:
    oooops. it appears to just add on to the logfile so I had to scroll way down to the bottom. How long will it keep adding to this file?
    In general I think it really depends on the length of the log, and not time.  For instance my current one starts on 4/01/2021.  But also note you can select "Old log" and that will basically double how far back you can go.
    Signature:
  • Francine
    Francine Member ✭✭
    There is nothing in my OLD LOGS for some reason. I've been a Quicken customer since 2013 and been using direct connect many years now.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Francine said:
    There is nothing in my OLD LOGS for some reason. I've been a Quicken customer since 2013 and been using direct connect many years now.
    Are you aware of the fact that the OFX logs are stored with your data file as shown below (my data file is called Current):

They are in "scrambled" form because they contain sensitive information, but there isn't anything stopping you from deleting them and as such not have them when you look at Help -> Log Files -> OFX Log
    Signature:
  • rmfindc
    rmfindc Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue but not just with USAA - Capital One does the same thing in the last few months where the same info in the PAYEE field is duplicated in the MEMO field. It's a new problem and a real nuisance. This is *NOT* related to Memorized Lists as so many people keep offering. I have to manually delete the Memo constantly.
  • Francine
    Francine Member ✭✭
    Yes rmfindc! I spent three weeks working with my financial institution and they said it is totally with Quicken. I talked with the Quicken support team and someone from the CEO’s office. Eight hours on the phone with Quicken and they say “it’s what USAA sends us”. USAA set up a new passcode for quicken users and so quicken PULLS the info from my account. BOA doesn’t SEND anything. I’m probably not going to renew quicken next year is they don’t fix this.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea about Capitol One, but it has already been determined that for USAA it is in fact USAA that has the problem.

Francine said:
    Chris.
    I have the same issue. Quicken says its USAA's fault and USAA says its Quiken's fault.
    Here is a sample of the OFX Log. I don't understand your directions "You can see the **** SEND, which comes from Quicken, and the **** RECV that comes from USAA and see that the memo information is in the <MEMO> field." I cannot tell from the below info which is coming from USAA.....

OFX LOG
    <OFX><SIGNONMSGSRSV1><SONRS><STATUS><CODE>0<SEVERITY>INFO<MESSAGE>SUCCESS</STATUS><DTSERVER>20210419145912.872[-4:EDT]<LANGUAGE>ENG<FI><ORG>USAA Federal Savings Bank<FID>67811</FI></SONRS></SIGNONMSGSRSV1><CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1><CCSTMTTRNRS><TRNUID>FB55E1F1-7DCC-1000-80D1-E70724040026<STATUS><CODE>0<SEVERITY>INFO<MESSAGE>SUCCESS</STATUS><CCSTMTRS><CURDEF>USD<CCACCTFROM><ACCTID>XXXX824125586915</CCACCTFROM><BANKTRANLIST><DTSTART>20210329110000.000[-4:EDT]<DTEND>20210415110000.000[-4:EDT]<STMTTRN><TRNTYPE>OTHER<DTPOSTED>20210415110000.000[-4:EDT]<TRNAMT>-8.0<FITID>980D2DE911DB7CE6D7F861F2F2EB9250<NAME>UTMDACC MAYS GARAGE HOUSTON<MEMO>UTMDACC MAYS GARAGE HOUSTON TX<
    Chris_QPW said:
    The "RECV" part of the log comes directly from the financial institution (USAA in this case)

<NAME>UTMDACC MAYS GARAGE HOUSTON
    <MEMO>UTMDACC MAYS GARAGE HOUSTON TX

And as you can see they have the same information in them (with the exception of TX).

They can deny it all they want, but this is clearly not a Quicken problem.
    Signature:
  • Francine
    Francine Member ✭✭
    edited June 2021
    [removed - argumentative/unhelpful]
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

This thread is about USAA and not Bank of America.
    Signature: