Print a check from a scheduled transaction (Q Mac)

Options
I've just moved to Quicken for Mac after maybe 20 years using Quicken for PC. So far I like it and things imported correctly. On the PC I had maybe 8 or 10 scheduled transactions, most of which were monthly checks to be printed. I have set those up on the Mac, and set them to "Print Check," but so far have found no way to actually print the check from the transaction. The first one that came up today I ended up having to "Write Check", then just deleted the scheduled transaction since it was now a duplicate.

The action field in the transactions says "check" and the check # field says "PRINT", but I have so far not found a way to actually print it.

I've searched but haven't found an answer to this, so would appreciate knowing if this is possible.

Thank you.
Judy

Best Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Welcome to Quicken for Mac!

You must first mark the scheduled transaction as paid before you can print. You can do that by either selecting the transaction in the register and clicking on the respecting Paid icon (transaction will be posted immediately as is), or you can double click on the reminder and click on the "Mark As Paid" below where you will be taken to the transaction where you can edit any details (date, amount, memo, etc.) before you post. Only that individual transaction will have changes you make.

After the transaction is posted, then you can choose File:Print Checks to print them. 

In the resulting dialogs, you can choose the check style, starting number, etc. 

That's the basics-post back if you have more questions.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Judy, with scheduled transactions, the button to mark as "Paid" (or "Deposited", if it's something like a paycheck) is somewhat misleading terminology. What it's doing is separating the transaction from the scheduled sequence and making it a stand-alone, regular transaction. John uses the language many accounting programs would use to describe this act of finalizing a transaction: "posting." Quicken probably avoids using "post" because its not as familiar to consumers, and it's not quite like full-fledged accounting software, where a posted transaction can not be deleted once posted. But you need to mark a scheduled transaction as Paid/Deposited in order to fully edit the transaction -- including paying a check -- separate from the future scheduled transactions. You can mark a scheduled transaction as "Paid" which is weeks in the future; it doesn't mean the bill is actually paid, it just means the transaction is now independent of the scheduled transaction, and can be edited independently. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Welcome to Quicken for Mac!

You must first mark the scheduled transaction as paid before you can print. You can do that by either selecting the transaction in the register and clicking on the respecting Paid icon (transaction will be posted immediately as is), or you can double click on the reminder and click on the "Mark As Paid" below where you will be taken to the transaction where you can edit any details (date, amount, memo, etc.) before you post. Only that individual transaction will have changes you make.

After the transaction is posted, then you can choose File:Print Checks to print them. 

In the resulting dialogs, you can choose the check style, starting number, etc. 

That's the basics-post back if you have more questions.
  • jer1565
    jer1565 Member ✭✭
    Options
    John -- It did cross my mind to wonder if I needed to mark them as paid, but that seemed counterintuitive-since they aren't really paid until the check is printed! But that is what I was missing. It's very different from the PC version, and yet the principle is the same in a way. Anyway, thanks so much for your prompt response! I appreciate it.
    Judy
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Judy, with scheduled transactions, the button to mark as "Paid" (or "Deposited", if it's something like a paycheck) is somewhat misleading terminology. What it's doing is separating the transaction from the scheduled sequence and making it a stand-alone, regular transaction. John uses the language many accounting programs would use to describe this act of finalizing a transaction: "posting." Quicken probably avoids using "post" because its not as familiar to consumers, and it's not quite like full-fledged accounting software, where a posted transaction can not be deleted once posted. But you need to mark a scheduled transaction as Paid/Deposited in order to fully edit the transaction -- including paying a check -- separate from the future scheduled transactions. You can mark a scheduled transaction as "Paid" which is weeks in the future; it doesn't mean the bill is actually paid, it just means the transaction is now independent of the scheduled transaction, and can be edited independently. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jer1565
    jer1565 Member ✭✭
    Options
    This further detail about marking a transaction as paid is very helpful to better understand what's happening. Thanks so much for responding. I think I've got it now!
This discussion has been closed.