What does qwsubprocess.exe do and is it normal to not run until 10 days after an update?

Options
BobC
BobC Member ✭✭✭✭
I have noticed a Quicken related program appears to be updated without any overt action on my part.  I don't think that is the case, based on the following explanation.  However, I would like to understand what qwsubprocess.exe does.  And also, to confirm that there is a rational explanation of why it first ran to communicate with the Internet yesterday, April 27th, when the most recent version of Quicken.exe itself was updated and first ran to communicate with the Internet on April 17th.

Specifically, qwsubprocess.exe, was recently (April 27, 2021 at about 8:13 PM) identified by Glasswire, a program I use to monitor software participating in network communications outside of my computer, as undergoing a version change from 27.1.30.21 to 27.1.32.12 at that time.  I have been running Quicken HB&RP Version R32.12 Build 27.1.32.12 since April 17, 2021 at around 8:13 AM.  I had most recently updated Quicken from Version R31.10 Build 27.1.32.10 to Version R32.1.32.12 on April 17, 2021 at 8:13 AM.  I note that the qwsubprocess.exe file itself is dated 3/31/2021, the same date as other quicken files updated on my system on 4/17/2021, such as qw.exe, and part of the Quicken upgrade I installed at that time.

The information provided by Glasswire in its 4/27/21 log is as follows:
Note that while the above view identifies the program as "Quicken CEF Subprocess", the actual .exe file is provided in the following detail view from Glasswire, and is qwsubprocess.exe, which I suspect is more than the CEF subprocess, (apparently related to screen-sharing, as discussed in an earlier thread on this forum).

I attribute this change to simply being the first time qwsubprocess.exe ran to communicate with the Internet, since my April 17, 2021 update to the most recent version of Quicken.  Does this make sense?

To reiterate, what functions does qwsubprocess.exe perform?  And is it acceptable and expected that it would not run until 10 days after the associated qw.exe first ran?

Any explanations that help me confirm this is expected and desired behavior would be appreciated.

Thank you,
BobC

Thanks,
BobC

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Subscription, Build 27.1.52.28,
Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS build 22621.2283 Exp 1000.22662.1000.0

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken CEF subprocess is the built-in web browser.  Quicken will start the program when it is needed (for example, when launch Quicken Help) and they will persist until we exit Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.