Naming File Wrong Name

I had to rename a file because I was saving two on the same day and wanted to keep the files separate. I did this by just adding a letter after the date. Now it wants to save all files with that name and I can't seem to get it back to just adding the date. Any suggestions I can get this back to where it needs to be without having to reinstall Quicken again?

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Auto backup - or the Manual backup ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Bearwolf
    Bearwolf Member ✭✭
    Manual back up to my usb drive.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Press Ctrl + B, check Add date to backup file name, and select the appropriate folder in the previous Backup-file pull-down menu.

Note: If the current file has the undesired name, you may change the the current file to the desired name.  For example, select File > Save a copy as...
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    in the Backup menu -
    click on CHANGE and modify the location and/or the file name

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Bearwolf
    Bearwolf Member ✭✭
    I tried that and it still has the extra date and letter along with the current date in the file name. Thank you for your suggestion. What I'm trying to do is get it back to where I didn't have to change anything. Quicken would save the file with the added date without it adding the extra date and letter that I added that one time to save the file. That way I don't have to change anything when I backup the file. I realize this isn't a major problem. I could have it just add the date and all would be fine except the long file name. But thank you both for your suggestions. If all else fails I will try just reinstalling Quicken.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @Sherlock posted, Note: If the current file has the undesired name, you may change the the current file to the desired name.  For example, select File > Save a copy as...
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you rename just the backup file - as per my above listing -
    or - did you rename the Quicken QDF data file - and it now has the extra date as part of the name ?
    Look in the very top left corner of Quicken - the file name is listed - does it have the datestamp ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Bearwolf
    Bearwolf Member ✭✭
    I did as you said and yes the file name on the top of has the old date stamp with a letter.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Again a@Sherlock posted, Note: If the current file has the undesired name, you may change the the current file to the desired name.  For example, select File > Save a copy as...
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Bearwolf said:
    I did as you said and yes the file name on the top of has the old date stamp with a letter.
    Then you did not do as suggested and rename the Quicken file.

What apparently happened is you restored the backup Quicken file to a new Quicken file which has the date and letter.  If you want to use this Quicken file but want to use a different name for the Quicken file, you want to rename the Quicken file.  One way you may rename the Quicken file is to select File > Save a copy as...  This will save the Quicken file with a new name.  

Later you may choose to use Windows File Explorer to remove the Quicken files with names you no longer want to keep.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Bearwolf said: I had to rename a file because I was saving two on the same day and wanted to keep the files separate.
    looks like you did a bunch of stuff you didn't mention -
    along with either renaming the Quicken QDF file or a RESTORE or Opening the BACKUP file or ???
    Anyway.. just to clarify, if you click on Quicken FILE menu and look at the very bottom of the menu, you will see the Quicken files you recently opened - with their full names - and can see where things got messed up.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Bearwolf
    Bearwolf Member ✭✭
    No the only thing I did was rename the back up file when I saved it. Looks like somehow it renamed the file that it saved. I did have an odd thing happen that when I closed the program it saved the file to the desktop instead of where it was suppose to save it. That happened before I changed the back up file I was saving. Not sure where that happened. I really appreciate your help with this but I think the quickest solution would be to reinstall quicken.
  • Bearwolf
    Bearwolf Member ✭✭
    Then again if it is saving the backup files as the old date plus a letter that it will just do the same thing when I reinstall it.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Bearwolf said:
    No the only thing I did was rename the back up file when I saved it. Looks like somehow it renamed the file that it saved. I did have an odd thing happen that when I closed the program it saved the file to the desktop instead of where it was suppose to save it. That happened before I changed the back up file I was saving. Not sure where that happened. I really appreciate your help with this but I think the quickest solution would be to reinstall quicken.
    If you dod not restore/open the file, you should have been able to resolve your issue following the original guidance you were provided:

Press Ctrl + B, check Add date to backup file nameand select the appropriate folder in the previous Backup-file pull-down menu.

Quicken maintains a list of the most recent manual backup folders in the QUSER.INI file located within the user's hidden AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Config folder (or the AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\Config if you're using an older version of Quicken).  If Quicken isn't able to maintain the file, you may move/rename/delete the QUSER.INI file and Quicken should recreate the file.
  • Bearwolf
    Bearwolf Member ✭✭
    Great and thank you again. Will try what you suggested and see if I can straighten it out.
  • Bearwolf
    Bearwolf Member ✭✭
    I think I found a solution. I found the QDF file in documents and changed the file name removing the old date from it. Seems to have fixed it. Once again thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    FWIW, reinstalling Quicken would not have resolved your problem. The Quicken program and data files are separate.