Can I have Quicken on 2 machines and access the same data file?

Options
Considering the question above, will I have to purchase another copy of Quicken for the other machine?

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Ok. Thank you Ps56k2 and Sherlock. I appreciate your time and effort to help me out. We will continue to muddle along with a single machine. I dislike corruption in all it's forms.
    We use a remote desktop client to access a shared desktop where we maintain Quicken.  We happen to use Microsoft's Remote Desktop but there are many other good options available.  

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Charliemike,

The answer is no.  You can install the Quicken application on more than one computer.  You will need to move your Quicken data file between machines to use it / keep it up to date.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Charliemike
    Charliemike Member
    Options
    Thank you Frankx. What if I kept the data file on a server? Would that work?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you Frankx. What if I kept the data file on a server? Would that work?
    You would think that would be ok - but it has caused Quicken data file corruption -
    and is therefore NO - it is frowned upon -
    However - you could use the server, or cloud acct -
    to act as a dropoff to move the QDF file back and forth to the local hard drive -
    but you really need to coordinate that effort so the file's contents doesn't get messed up.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We may install Quicken on as many machines we want with a single purchase.

If Quicken accesses a Quicken file in a folder that is not on a local drive, there is an increased risk of corruption.  The Quicken file is simple proprietary single-user database.  It is not designed to be shared or work reliably over a network or even USB drives.
  • Charliemike
    Charliemike Member
    Options
    Ok. Thank you Ps56k2 and Sherlock. I appreciate your time and effort to help me out. We will continue to muddle along with a single machine. I dislike corruption in all it's forms.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    We use a remote desktop client to access a shared desktop where we maintain Quicken.  We happen to use Microsoft's Remote Desktop but there are many other good options available.  
  • Charliemike
    Charliemike Member
    Options
    I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. So easy to do too. Can't thank you enough.
This discussion has been closed.