Transactions are missing from Transaction Reports

I'm using Quicken for Mac 6.1.1.
There are several transactions in my checking account which are not showing up in transaction reports. Zeroing in on one of them, I can manually create an identical transaction - same date, category, payee, and amount and it shows up just fine. But the original does not. Modifying the original doesn't help. I tried backing up and restoring from the backup but the problem persists. How can I fix this?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Are these transactions transfers? Can you post a screenshot of one of the transactions?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    This is a long shot, but double click the bad transaction in the register to see the full four digit year (adjust the Date column width as needed). Make sure it's 2021 and not 1921.

Also, per Jacobs question above, we can't tell from the screenshot if the transaction is actually a Transfer transaction because the Transfer column is not displayed. If the Category is not "Transfer", then a transaction can be a transfer and there will be no indication if the Transfer column is not visible. These "stealth transfers" can sometimes result from a QuickFill with a transfer being applied or by an auto-categorization. To check, enable the Transfer column. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • AndyMartin
    AndyMartin Member
    Answer ✓
    You nailed it. "stealth transfer"! Thanks!

Answers

• jacobs
    edited May 2021
    What type of transaction report is it? I'm trying to determine if it is based on the old Category Summary report, or the modern Transaction report. The former is known to have some issues with omitting data at times. This is the old style Category Summary report -- does the top look like this?

Or like this…

… which is the newer Transaction report.
  • AndyMartin
    AndyMartin Member
    It is the newer transaction report. Reports -> Transaction -> Transactions by Category
    The missing transactions also are not counted in actual expenses when looking at Budgets.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Are these transactions transfers? Can you post a screenshot of one of the transactions?
  • AndyMartin
    AndyMartin Member
    Thanks for your help. Below you will see two identical transactions, one labeled "Original" which was downloaded from my bank, and one labeled "Test" which I added manually.
    In the report, only "Test" shows up.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2021 Answer ✓
    This is a long shot, but double click the bad transaction in the register to see the full four digit year (adjust the Date column width as needed). Make sure it's 2021 and not 1921.

Also, per Jacobs question above, we can't tell from the screenshot if the transaction is actually a Transfer transaction because the Transfer column is not displayed. If the Category is not "Transfer", then a transaction can be a transfer and there will be no indication if the Transfer column is not visible. These "stealth transfers" can sometimes result from a QuickFill with a transfer being applied or by an auto-categorization. To check, enable the Transfer column. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • AndyMartin
    AndyMartin Member
    Answer ✓
    You nailed it. "stealth transfer"! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.