Cannot download transactions from Quicken E*trade (Brokerage)

I set up existing E*trade accounts in my Quicken for the first time two months ago. (Quicken R32.12 Windows 10 Pro)
I am able to add the accounts, and the accounts identify the amount of cash in the account, but none of the securities are downloaded and no security transactions get updated as I sync the accounts. The account sync show no errors, but no transactions are ever shown.
I have checked the message boards, but have not found any resolution to this problem.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @charliegian

Can you tell us which version of both Quicken and Windows you are running? Also - double check the "account type" that was setup:
    1) open the account register in Quicken;
    2) Click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right corner;
    3) Click "Edit Account Details":
    4) on the "General" tab - what does it have next to "Account type:"?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Please provide the connection method being used: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.

Note: Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
  • charliegian
    charliegian Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Account type - "Brokerage
    Quicken Version R32.12 Build: 27.132.12
    Windows 10 Pro version 2004, Build 19041.928
    Connection Method: Direct Connect
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried toggling the checkmark in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded transactions / "Automatically add to investment transaction lists"? Toggle it off if it's on now (or vice versa), close and restart Quicken, run an "Update Now" from the account register's Action gear icon. Did that free up some transactions? Either way, after that exercise, set the checkmark back to what it was before.
  • charliegian
    I toggled the checkmark off. restarted Quicken and attempted to update transactions. When I clicked on update, my computer opened Internet Explorer which showed this error:
    This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    <Errors xmlns="http://schema.intuit.com/platform/common/error/v1">
    <error>
    <code>AuthenticationFailed</code>
    <type>INPUT</type>
    </error>
    </Errors>
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest reviewing the OFX Log to determine if the holdings and transactions for the account are being provided: select Help > Log Files and OFX Log

If they're not, I suggest you contact the financial institution.
    If they are, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • charliegian
    When I rechecked the checkmark and restarted again, I received the same error. So I re-authorized the download method with etrade and now I am back to where this started. it syncs, but no transactions are downloaded.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    When I rechecked the checkmark and restarted again, I received the same error. So I re-authorized the download method with etrade and now I am back to where this started. it syncs, but no transactions are downloaded.
    same error?  

What is this error and when did it previously occur?

What did you do to re-authorized the download method with Etrade?
  • charliegian
    Is Sherlock an AI or a real person?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Is Sherlock an AI or a real person?
    I'm as real as you are.

You mentioned you're receiving the same error but did not mention any error previously.

You said you're using Direct Connect but you also said you re-authorized the download method with Etrade due this error.

I've been using Quicken with E*Trade for decades using the Direct Connect connection method and do not recall ever having received an error that required me to re-authorize the download method.  I'm just trying to understand what you're saying.
  • charliegian
    Sorry, I was questioning because Sherlock is a common name for an AI, and I had put in the previous error. The error I receive is that when I click on "update transactions" my computer opens Internet Explorer which showed this error::

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    <error>
    <type>INPUT</type>
    </error>
    </Errors>

As of today, I am not longer receiving this error, but I am also not getting any transactions downloaded.

Thanks.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I was questioning because Sherlock is a common name for an AI, and I had put in the previous error. The error I receive is that when I click on "update transactions" my computer opens Internet Explorer which showed this error::

<error>
    <type>INPUT</type>
    </error>
    </Errors>

As of today, I am not longer receiving this error, but I am also not getting any transactions downloaded.

Thanks.
    Too many cooks...

Have you reviewed the OFX Log yet?
  • charliegian
    Yes, but it is all Greek to me. No obvious error messages in the file.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but it is all Greek to me. No obvious error messages in the file.
    I asked you to determine if the holdings and transactions for the account are being provided.  It easy enough to deduce without knowing Greek:  Save the OFX Log to a file, open the file with your favorite text file editor (for example, Notepad) locate the exchange with E*Trade (ofx.etrade.com), note the account (ACCTID), examine the holdings (INVPOSLIST to /INVPOSLIST) and transactions (INVTRANLIST to /INVTRANLIST).  If this is still beyond your ability, I suggest you contact Quicken Support.

If the holdings and transactions are not in the OFX Log, I suggested you contact the financial institution.
    If they are, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • charliegian
    Thank you for the help. There are no positions or transactions between INVPOSLIST or INVTRANLIST. Given this I assume that you recommend that I contact trade, correct? Has anyone else seen this problem withe trade?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the help. There are no positions or transactions between INVPOSLIST or INVTRANLIST. Given this I assume that you recommend that I contact trade, correct? Has anyone else seen this problem withe trade?
    Correct.  Contact E*Trade.  Do let us know what they find.

I'm not aware of anyone who has posted a similar issue with funded E*Trade accounts that are at least two months old.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going out on a limb here. Are the eTrade accounts for ESPPs and/or employee stock options?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• charliegian
    Some of them have those elements, but some are just stock owned outright.