Using category Investments:Interest Income

Fabrizio
Fabrizio Member
Hi, I have Quicken for Mac, latest version 6.1.1. I realized that it's not allowing me to use the category "Investment:Interest Income" on any transaction. Anyone else experiencing this problem? It seems like a bug to me .... Thanks!

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Usually investment income would come from… wait for it… investment transactions. Investment transactions don't use categories. The type of the transaction -- e.g. Interest Income -- uses the category behind the scenes. How are you trying to use this category on other transactions?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    I've run into this same issue.   I call it a bug, too, but I suspect the developers think it is "by design".  None of the Investment categories can be used outside of Investment accounts, which I think is a mistake.  Quicken Windows does not have any restrictions on where any category may be used.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Member
    Thank you jacobs and MontanaKarl. Jacobs, what happened is that it automatically assigned some of my investment transactions to the category "Investments:Interest Income" while other investment transactions have been categorized under "Interest Income" (not a subcategory of Investments but just a category by itself (and I don't think I created it)). When I tried to change those transactions from Interest Income to Investments:Interest Income, he would not let me do it ....
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Have you migrated from Quicken Mac 2007 or Quicken Windows? Those versions used different categories, and there's no way to merge the old categories into the current ones. (That's a feature request I've submitted to the developers, but it's obviously not a pressing priority.)

What transactions do you have which are using the "Interest Income" category?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Member
    I migrated from Quicken Mac 2007, so that's probably the problem...
This discussion has been closed.