line or bar chart to show spending over time?

Options
PuzzleRad
PuzzleRad Member
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I'm utilized my best googling skills but can't find any information on making what should be a SIMPLE (line or bar) chart showing spending of one or more categories *over time*. Quicken seems to only want to do pie charts or showing a spending compared to the *average* spending from a previous period. No I do not want to compare last month's spending on X to the average I spent on X during the previous 12-month period, I want to just see a simple line or bar chart showing what I spent on category X over a specified period. Can someone help show me what I'm missing?
Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @PuzzleRad .  Have you looked at the Reports > Spending > Income and Expense by Category report?  It has a bar chart (not a line chart) and you can customize the report (Gear icon at the top right of the report) to show what you spend and/or have for income in a single category or multiple categories over just about any period of time.
    As you have observed, Quicken's graphing capabilities are limited.  Fortunately, Quicken does allow for exporting reports data to Excel and Excel's graphing capabilities are very good.  Not ideal to have to export the data but at least that does provide an avenue to perhaps get some reports graphed (and sorted/filtered) the way you want or need.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @PuzzleRad .  Have you looked at the Reports > Spending > Income and Expense by Category report?  It has a bar chart (not a line chart) and you can customize the report (Gear icon at the top right of the report) to show what you spend and/or have for income in a single category or multiple categories over just about any period of time.
    As you have observed, Quicken's graphing capabilities are limited.  Fortunately, Quicken does allow for exporting reports data to Excel and Excel's graphing capabilities are very good.  Not ideal to have to export the data but at least that does provide an avenue to perhaps get some reports graphed (and sorted/filtered) the way you want or need.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• PuzzleRad
    PuzzleRad Member
    Options
    Thanks Boatnmaniac -- that type of bar chart was just fine. And I keep forgetting that I can export data and work with it in Excel, but this built-in chart did the trick. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.